6.80 RC5 still unpauses itself

This is the place to help test and discuss Version 6 Beta releases.

6.80 RC5 still unpauses itself

Postby RayMark » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:16 pm

Please, this bug should be very easy to fix.

6.80 RC5 (build 5042) still has this bug.
And it is still present from version to version. I may have reported it already - I have a vague recollection of doing so but I am too lazy to search for the relevant post

Sometimes I need to pause Newsbin because I need resources for something else: CPU, disk space, disk and/or network bandwidth.
If I click on the "pause" button I expect Newsbin to stay paused until I myself unpause it again.

Unfortunately Newsbin unpauses itself even when in the background - so completely without my knowledge.
It happens in low disk space conditions.
If Newsbin is paused with enough disk space remaining, and then the free disk space is reduced by me doing something not related to Newsbin at all - Newsbin goes all red with out-of-space pause, even when being already paused.
This is bad enough, but worse is that when I make more free space on the disk - again, Newsbin has nothing to do with it, it just sits in the background, supposedly paused - the all red emergency pause message goes away but Newsbin does not return to the manually paused state - instead, it begins downloading again. And all this occurs without me knowing anything about it - in the background. It is unacceptable.
And easy to fix. You just need to remember the state, is Newsbin paused or not: yes/no before going to the emergency all read state and when leaving it, check the flag and pause / unpause accordingly.
RayMark
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/21/07

Re: 6.80 RC5 still unpauses itself

Postby Quade » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:28 pm

I can see that. The issue is pause doesn't stack.

1 - You pause by hand

2 - You run out of disk space and Newsbin then pops the window and pauses.

3 - You free up some disk space, Newsbin drops the popup window and unpauses.

I'll note it but it needs enough dangerous changes to fix, it'll probably not make 6.80.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Re: 6.80 RC5 still unpauses itself

Postby RayMark » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:58 pm

It seems like a simple (global) flag to me: boolean manual_pause_applied - not just a pause, but specifically manual pause.
But I guess, after a change you still may want to go back to beta 1 for testing. But is it a simple bug fix or a change.

Another way to fix it - why it has to show that red warning and pause when it is already paused. Why it even has to monitor the disk space when it is paused. Let it pop up its red warning if the disk space is low only when/if I try to unpose it.
But that probably would be more difficult and dangerous and more controversial fix.

The thing is - is the red (auto) pause any different than the regular (manual) pause?
When paused manually, Newsbin still does its stuff: it continues decoding and unrarring. It is not a complete stop. It seems it even finishes some downloading.
But I think the same happens with the red pop-up pause as well. If so - there is no need to continue monitoring the disk space when already manually paused, but there is such a need when red pop-up paused.
So, you would probably still need a flag was it a manual or auto pause, and depending on that - to suspend or to continue monitoring.
Seems like a slightly more dangerous way to fix it because of possible side effects? Not sure.

Thanks anyway for making a note :)
RayMark
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/21/07

Return to Newsbin Version 6 Beta Support