6.80 RC8 self-disables AutoPAR forever

This is the place to help test and discuss Version 6 Beta releases.

6.80 RC8 self-disables AutoPAR forever

Postby RayMark » Sun May 06, 2018 7:03 pm

6.80 Final? Really? I had no time to test the newest changes to deal with the low disk space made in RC8 - simply I did not ran out of disk space until now.

So here is what happens with RC8 when it runs out of free disk space:
Unrarring gets disabled - as promised?
But when the free disk space is again increased, even for new downloads added later to the download list - no par check or unrar is performed. The AutoPAR is enabled. I tried to disable and to enable it again. Still nothing.
NewsBin is behaving as if AutoPAR is disabled even it is not. The actual AutoPAR setting is ignored. Only after closing and restarting NewsBin, AutoPAR is working again.
There is nothing mentioned about it in the 6.80 Final release notes, so, I guess, this bug is in the Final as well.
RayMark
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/21/07

Re: 6.80 RC8 self-disables AutoPAR forever

Postby Quade » Sun May 06, 2018 10:14 pm

You're probably not freeing up enough space. You need 2 times the unrar size before it'll continue unraring.

It'll pop up a red line in the logging tab when it's waiting for more space. If you still see it, you need to free up more space. I unrared to a 64 g USB stick for a couple weeks so, I was constantly running out of disk space. Once I free'd up enough space it would continue.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby RayMark » Mon May 07, 2018 5:21 am

I was downloading posts of combined sizes below 10 GB, mostly 1.5-5 GB. My threshold was set to 20 GB. When I ran out of space I freed up 190 GB - not only the already downloaded rars were not extracted, but also posts added to the download list after that were downloaded but status kept showing 0 pars and nothing was extracted - until I restarted NewsBin. It is now too late to look in the log, but I will the next time I ran out of free space. Perhaps this disabling of AutoPAR will not happen again.
Come to think of it, it was not the very first time I ran out of free space with RC8. Just a few hours earlier I was downloading with unrar path assigned to a non-default drive and ran out of space on the default drive anyway.
In that case there was no problems.
Everything resumed as normal after freeing up some space on the default drive. This time all the downloading and unrarring was done to the default drive when the auto-disabling of AutoPAR occurred.

NOTE:
The "default drive" is the drive to which all the download paths in the .nbi file point. In my case, the NBData folder is on yet another drive but actual chunks are on the "default drive", a junction point is used to achieve that. I think this circumstance has nothing to do whatsoever with the problem.
Except one interesting point: the remaining free space should be checked on the drive to which the actual downloading or unrarring is done. So, in some cases - on multiple different drives, one at a time. I wonder if it is done or not.
For example, if both the download path and the unrar path are reassigned to a different drive, the check of free space on the default drive should not be done even when it goes below the threshold value - because nothing is being downloaded to that drive. But because I am using a junction point to place chunks on the default drive, it would be bad for me. I am still using the default drive but NewsBin does not know about it. If you always stop NewsBin when the free space on the "default drive" drops below the threshold value - it is probably wrong but it is good for me :)
RayMark
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/21/07

Postby Quade » Mon May 07, 2018 9:54 am

Perhaps this disabling of AutoPAR will not happen again.

It never disables Autopar. It will stall forever till it gets enough free space. The thing that does unrar is the thing that counts PAR blocks so when it's stalled, all repair, unrar and file verification stalls with it. If you don't check the logging tab, you won't know what folder is being checked and what's holding up the unrar.

Except one interesting point: the remaining free space should be checked on the drive to which the actual downloading or unrarring is done. So, in some cases - on multiple different drives, one at a time. I wonder if it is done or not.

Before it unrars, it checks free space for the unrar path for that particular download and will stall if there's isn't enough space so, it'll work not matter what the unrar path is. I don't test with junction points so I have no clue whether this introduces subtle issues in the free space checking. By you linking the chunks folder to some place else, you may throw off the calculation for free space. I don't know.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to Newsbin Version 6 Beta Support