Newsbin Beta 6.90RC3 - build 5462

This is the place to help test and discuss Version 6 Beta releases.

Newsbin Beta 6.90RC3 - build 5462

Postby Quade » Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:11 am

Getting pretty close to done....RC3 is here.

http://downloads.newsbin.com/downloads/ ... 3-5462.exe

MP3 Parser: APIC fields could prevent the reading of ID3 frames that follow. Meaning sometimes Newsbin couldn’t find the ID3 fields for using them to name folders for MP3's

AutoPAR: Solved another new type of obscured files not renaming.
AutoPAR: More rename modes for more kinds of obscured posting.
AutoPAR: Some renames didn't work because Newsbin wasn't look at the first chunks for the filename.
AutoPAR: Files with no extension now get probed and extension added. Some case where the unrar produces files with no extension at all. This is in addition to normal rename modes. It applies to all files types.

Display: Remove force compaction from loading NZBs or conversely make it smarter.
Display: “delete all posts” from post listing was using wrong delete. Switched it to only deleting headers and not rangeDB. This means "delete all" from a post list won't trigger downloading older headers.

Download: 0/1 parters linger in the download list.
Download: DNS errors cause a strange error report
Download: Re-implemented support for old header formats. If you tried to queue a local file and it didn't enter the download list, this is probably the fix you need.

NZB: Remove force compaction for “Load NZB”.
NZB: Make sure samples don’t get mixed in when doing forced compaction.

I discovered something late and didn't want to hold this up. Make sure you set proper download folder in the "Remote NZB (which is the Sonarr stuff". I noticed the default unrar path doesn't seem to be full path. It could just be cosmetic though.

There's really only one more thing I want to implement before release. A fix for a potential problem when an NZB describes a file that's not on your server yet.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Re: Newsbin Beta 6.90RC3 - build 5462

Postby ccarlin » Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:49 am

Apologies, but I'm confused. I just checked, and with both RC2 and RC3 one still can't successfully post to a group unless there is an attachment (reported with RC1). Given this, is the problem unique to me and/or not duplicatable? Just checking that I've not missed a discussion or decision on the topic....

Regards.
ccarlin
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/03/03

Postby Quade » Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:06 am

I just haven't gotten to it yet. I'm aware of the report though.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby stavros » Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:49 am

Hi Quade,

Many thanks for this update :

Display: Remove force compaction from loading NZBs or conversely make it smarter.
NZB: Remove force compaction for “Load NZB”.

It makes the Load NZB function usable again for me :-)

One thing I have noticed is that when I d/l from an NZB via "Load NZB", Newsbin 6.90RC3 is no longer obeying the NZB Download folder from settings
- it is putting the downloaded files in a strange folder. e.g.

My DL folder for NZBs in settings is "F:\DL\_NZBs\$(NZBFILE)\"
In the Files list, as the files are being downloaded, they are going, in my case, to "F:\DL\a.b.misc".
Then they're being unrared to the correct unrar target of "F:\DC\$(NZBFILE)\$(GOG)\$(GROUP)\",
which in my case is "F:\DC\$(NZBFILE)\unsorted\a.b.misc\".

Not a great issue, my only (minor) concern is that if the unrar fails for some reason, then the downloaded rar files end up in a strange place,
and mixed up with other files in the selected directory.

I think that in the past, the NZB download folder in the settings was obeyed.

regards
Stavros.
stavros
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/24/03

Postby kirm » Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:50 pm

Apologies, but I'm confused. I just checked, and with both RC2 and RC3 one still can't successfully post to a group unless there is an attachment (reported with RC1). Given this, is the problem unique to me and/or not duplicatable? Just checking that I've not missed a discussion or decision on the topic....

By any chance, are you using Newshosting. Have not run rc3 yet, installing now. This posting to group has not worked for me as well for some time. Posting is enabled on their web site. It's one of those features I rarely use, so not positive when this started to fail.

Regards,
kirm
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/15/03

Postby depredador » Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:27 am

Still downloads sample only when using with Sonarr sometimes. Back to 6.82.

I'll send you the file.
depredador
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 09/25/08

Postby Quade » Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:31 am

The file you sent me last time didn't have any samples in it. As far as I could tell. It was just a bunch of obscured files.

Anyway, appreciate the NZB when you send it.

I still have your old one too. I'll check it again. I have a theory about what's going on.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby depredador » Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:33 am

Quade wrote:The file you sent me last time didn't have any samples in it. As far as I could tell. It was just a bunch of obscured files.

Anyway, appreciate the NZB when you send it.

Sent.
depredador
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:40 am

Got it. Thanks.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby depredador » Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:46 am

All the ones that are samples only come from the same indexer, but 6.82 works fine with it :?
depredador
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:57 am

If you wouldn't mind, could you PM me the name of the indexer?

Honestly there's nothing wrong with these NZB's and they don't contain any samples so, what I think is happening is the indexer is either sending down a combined NZB and Newsbin is splitting the samples out into two distinct NZB's or that Sonarr is sending 2 distinct NZB's down. I actually believe it's the former.

So basically two sets of files are coming down from the indexer in a single NZB. 6.90 is assuming a single set per NZB. Which is the most common. The reason 6.82 isn't impacted is it makes no effort to group these obscured files before download. The grouping is what leading to the smaller set finishing and pulling the larger set out. The files are obscured so there's no easy way to remove the samples before the download starts.

The change I made to remove samples, assumes you can ID the samples from the subject, which you can't when everything is obscured.

1 - A quick fix would be to remove forced compaction from Sonarr downloads.

2 - The longer term fix might be to change how download works so Newsbin downloads the first chunk of every file and find the filenames, either from the subject or PARS, then cleans the grouping using the resulting filenames. Before the full power download starts.

I'm leaning toward #1 for now. The whole point of grouping is to minimize PAR downloads and minimize repairs.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby ccarlin » Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:29 pm

kirm wrote:

By any chance, are you using Newshosting. Have not run rc3 yet, installing now. This posting to group has not worked for me as well for some time. Posting is enabled on their web site. It's one of those features I rarely use, so not positive when this started to fail.

Regards,

===

Hi - and no, I've not tested with Newshosting. Pls. check the RC1 comments/thread on posting for more on the topic. From what folks have written I'd speculate that Newshosting is having a unique issue.

Regards.
ccarlin
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/03/03

Postby Stan » Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:26 pm

ccarlin wrote:
kirm wrote:

Regards,

===

Hi - and no, I've not tested with Newshosting. Pls. check the RC1 comments/thread on posting for more on the topic. From what folks have written I'd speculate that Newshosting is having a unique issue.

Regards.

Quade says he is still aware of posting issues. It's NOT newshosting as I have access to several newsservers all with posting ability. My solution always works, go back to 6.82, you will find u can post to any group anyway u want on any newsserver with posting abilities. I did with either rc1 or rc2 try adding attachment and that did not work for me as some others said. Newsbin at least then does show it's trying to post but it never goes. Without adding the attachment Newsbin does not even show it attempts to post. I also have other ways to post to usenet and I think with the other issues the rc's have it's most like low priority.
Stan
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/10/17

Return to Newsbin Version 6 Beta Support