Newsbin Remote for Android

Discussions about the TCP Remote Control interface built into Newsbin. Includes discussion and announcements of remote control applications using this interface running on mobile devices including iPhone and iPad iOS, and Android phones and tablets.

Moderators: RandomBox, Jonny

Newsbin Remote for Android

Postby dexter » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:14 pm

We've been working all summer and now have a Newsbin Remote for Android ready for you to play with. The core functionality is there, filtering isn't hooked up yet.

The easiest way to get it on your Android device is to visit the forums from your Android device and download this .apk file:

NBRemote for Android APK

A follow-up post in this forum will have more detailed instructions for using NBRemote for Android.

Feel free to post to this forum with any comments or bug reports or stop by our IRC channel at irc.newsbin.com and join #newsbin
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Re: Newsbin Remote for Android

Postby RandomBox » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:54 pm

How to use NBRemote for Android

Note: NBRemote has only been tested on devices with Android 4.1 and up. Stability (and actually being able to launch at all, for that matter) is unknown on devices with Android older than 4.0.

Installation

If you haven't already, allow the installation of 3rd party apps (if you've installed apps from somewhere other than the play store before, you can skip this). Go to you device's settings, then go to Security. Check off the box next to "Unknown Sources."

Once you device allows 3rd party apps, simply download the .apk and launch it from your device. It will then install, and NBRemote will be ready to use!

Usage

Once the app opens, you should see this screen:

(If you are using NBRemote in landscape, you'll also see the dashboard to the left of the screen.)

To connect to your computer, first click "Add Computer" and enter your computer's details.

Click Add to save the computer. You can store multiple computers here.

After you've added you computer, connect to it by clicking on "Computers" and selecting the computer you want to connect to.

A dialog will pop up saying whether or not the connection was successful. If it says "Connected. "you are now connected!

To access the dashboard in portrait mode, swipe right from the left edge of the screen, or click the app title. To close it, swipe left.

From here you can get to all the functions of the app.

Status

From here you can see the basic status of Newsbin. You can pause and resume Newsbin as well as toggle the bandwidth limiter.

Downloads

From here you can view, pause, and resume all the current downloading files. Clicking on the download shows its details, as well as giving you the option to delete it.

Groups

The Groups tab on the dashboard shows all your available groups. Click on one to view it.

Click on a file to view its details and download it.

Search

Enter your search term and click "Search" to search for a file. Click on the file to view its details and download it.

Newsbin Files

View all of Newsbin's downloaded files. Click on a file to bring up more details.

Clicking download will download the file to your device. The download is done separately from the app GUI, so you can exit the app and the download will continue.

Local Files

View all the files that have been downloaded to your device. Click on one to open it (note some filetypes, such as .mkv's, don't have a native Android app to view them. If you have a 3rd party app set as default, it will be launched). Long click on the file to delete it.

All downloads are stored in Download/NewsbinDownloads. If you have a file browser on your device, you can access downloaded files outside NBRemote by going to that directory.

More features, UI improvements, and stability improvements will come as the app is updated.
RandomBox
NBRemote Developer
NBRemote Developer

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/13/02

Postby xnifex » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:33 pm

What version of Newsbin needs to be running on the computer? Also, how do we know what port & password to use?
xnifex
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 06/08/09

Postby Quade » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:09 am

6.42 at least. Not sure about older.

Look in the remote control options in Newsbin. You can set the port and password to anything you want. They just have to match what's in remote control.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby xnifex » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:29 am

thanks quade. still running 5.55 so looks like i'll be updating tomorrow so I can try this out.
xnifex
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby dexter » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:02 am

Keep in mind that once you have a key to Newsbin, it's good for life and for any version. Unless you *want* to send us more money...
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby xnifex » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:34 pm

oh wow stuff has changed since 5.5
xnifex
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby TBlack » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:48 pm

May want to think about Dynamic DNS name acceptance for true remote access while away from the location. Everything else, so far so good!

Will editing/deleting be allowed for Computer entries?
TBlack
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/05/03

Postby dexter » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:28 pm

Ok, we'll look into it.

Yes, editing/deleting server entries is on the list of things to do.

Thanks for the feedback.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby xnifex » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:20 pm

you can delete computer entries by holding down on them in the list.

is there a way to have to remote trigger a header update for a specific group?
xnifex
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby dexter » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:55 pm

xnifex wrote:you can delete computer entries by holding down on them in the list.

Good find on how to delete computer entries, I wasn't aware that was hooked up.

As for initiating header downloads, not yet. That and Filters still needs to be hooked up.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby fsalter » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:22 am

Tried to install on my Nook and it stopped me because it says it can only install apps from the store. I can get apps from Google Store so is it going to be posted there?
Fred

PS Can I use the secure server on this install like on my home computer?
fsalter
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/23/03

Postby dexter » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:57 am

Once the program stabilizes, we will submit it to Google Play (store).

PS Can I use the secure server on this install like on my home computer?

Not sure what you mean here. NBRemote connects to Newsbin, it does not connect to your news server. There is another Android development underway that will connect directly to your news server from a high-end Android device and it will support SSL.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby xnifex » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:35 pm

So what exactly happens when I try to pull up a group? I have yet to get it to show anything in the remote, but my data usage for the app now shows 350mb.
xnifex
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby dexter » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:26 pm

If you previously download headers in Newsbin, you can view them from nbremote by selecting the group. You can then scan the post headers and queue any of them for download by newsbin onto the PC. After it downloads, you can go to the "Newsbin Files" list and pull any of those files over to your Android device.

Similarly, if you have a subscription to our Internet Search service, you can tell Newsbin to perform a search, choose from the search results for download, then bring the file over to your Android device after the download completes.

The thing to understand is that all the work is still being done by Newsbin on your PC. This is just a remote interface in to Newsbin to tell it what to do. Currently, telling Newsbin to update headers is a missing function.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TaintedShirt » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:32 pm

Hi guys,
wanted to say thanks to whoever is involved in this app, Quade, Dexter, RandomBox and any others.

For those less well versed in the intricacies of Newsbin Pro and the app (I include myself here) it might be beneficial to let users know that the information required in image 2 can be found (ip address, port) or set (password) in the options in Newsbin Pro on the pc, the section under Remote Control.

I can't believe how long it took for me to think to check there. :oops:

The only things I'd like to see would be a way exit the app, to auto connect to a pc, to start an update and maybe a tick box to select downloads.

Thanks again guys.
TaintedShirt
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/04/09

Postby dexter » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:04 pm

We'll come up with full documentation for the Help Wiki eventually.

Thanks for the suggestions, we'll add them to the list.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby joethesmith » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:41 pm

dexter wrote:
xnifex wrote:you can delete computer entries by holding down on them in the list.

Good find on how to delete computer entries, I wasn't aware that was hooked up.

As for initiating header downloads, not yet. That and Filters still needs to be hooked up.

Its not fully hooked up yet, it will delete it temporarily, but if I close the app and connect again the invalid entry is back again.

Also I am on an HTC ONE and when I click status it locks up and has to be force closed.

The App is looking good so far, I was able to load a small group and tell my computer to download a file. Great work so far!
joethesmith
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/19/07

Postby Hardwarejunkie » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:04 pm

First off, thanks so much for this wonderful program. Keep up the great work!

Is there any way to tell Newsbin Pro to bind itself to another network adapter or perhaps input your own IP address for remote connectivity? I went to the Options menu > selected Options... > selected Remote Control and found the IP address that I needed to enter in the Remote app. I have VMware Workstation installed on my desktop and this creates virtual Network Adapters in network properties. Newsbin Pro itself is installed on the desktop and not on any virtual machine. For some reason the IP address listed in the box is the one that belongs to one of the virtual Network Adapters on my desktop and not the physical network adapter that I use for connectivity. Thanks!
Hardwarejunkie
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/29/11

Postby Quade » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:44 am

The address listed in the remote options isn't THE address you have to use. It's simply the address windows told Newsbin to use.

TCP 0.0.0.0:118 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING InHost

This is what's listed in netstat. That means Newsbin will accept connections on any address. I think what it means is that the reported address in the options is just the wrong one. It also means you might need to be careful to firewall this at your network border because, Newsbin will accept connections from anywhere.

Essentially you can use any address that your windows instance will use to accept connections (Virtual machines make it hard to describe). You can do an ipconfig and get the address you network adapter is set to.

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::bla...
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.10.153
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.10.1
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby chroma601 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:54 pm

Just installed on my Samsung S3. I'm not a big IT guy, so is 118 always going to be the port? Not seeming to connect so far.
chroma601
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/14/06

Postby dexter » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:27 am

You can change the port form within Newsbin. 118 is the default. If you are trying to connect from outside your home network, you might have to configure your home firewall to allow the connection. Many cable modems will send all traffic to one computer and if that's not the computer that Newsbin is running on, you'll need to configure your cable modem router to forward port 118 traffic to your machine. If you are running NBRemote on your home network to connect to your PC running Newsbin, it should just work as long as you have Newsbin configured to accept the remote connection. Settings in Newsbin are under Options/Remote Control.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby cybersco » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:05 pm

Dex, I am late to the game here, and as usual, having trouble. It's my middle name. When I put in the connection data into the dialog box, and select connect........nothing at all happens. I am running 6.42RC3, and it seems to run fine for me. No big deal if I can't get it to work, but curious as to why I get no response from the tablet. Any suggestions? I did use the parms from the remote control options dialog. There was a pw already there, though I've never used it. Am I inputting the right stuff? Forgot to mention, using android 4.3.
cybersco
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/01/03

Postby dexter » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:36 pm

Are you trying to contact Newsbin over your home network or outside of it? If you are at home, verify the IP address of the host machine and make sure your android device can ping it. If you have a telnet app on your android, try to telnet into port 118 of the machine running Newsbin and see if you get a connection. If you can't connect over telnet, you won't be able to connect from nbremote. Last thing, verify the password you configured in Newsbin under Options/Remote is the same as what you entered in NBRemote. Also make sure no firewall is blocking port 118 on that machine.

If you are trying to connect to your machine from outside your home network, you need to make sure traffic going into your router is being directed to the machine running Newsbin and that any firewalls is allowing port 118 through.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby cybersco » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:53 am

Thanks for the info. I am trying to connect over my home lan. I grabbed a free telnet app, and it seemed to connect with newsbin, as it gave the version I am using, though it wanted authentication. I couldn't see where to put in pw. Anyway, I figured the ip was correct as configured, and tried again to use nbremote, but it still just sits there and does absolutely nothing. I just don't have the hacker skills to go further. Thanks again.
P.S. If my firewall was blocking 118, wouldn't the app be blocked also? This doesn't appear to be the case....
cybersco
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/01/03

Postby dexter » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:25 pm

You set the password in Newsbin, under Options/Remote Control. If telnet connects then the issue is probably the password. The password you enter in NBRemote has to match the password you entered in Newsbin, and is probably case sensitive.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Protonus » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:41 pm

Got around to trying this today. First of all, thanks for making this! Now a few thoughts:

TBlack wrote:May want to think about Dynamic DNS name acceptance for true remote access while away from the location.

This was the first thing I came here to report. I use a dyndns.org address myself, my IP is very dynamic, so this is a needed feature for me for sure.

TaintedShirt wrote:auto connect to a pc

The second thing I came here to request.
Protonus
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/12/09

Postby Protonus » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:47 pm

A few more thoughts:

1.) Is it possible to have the app request uPnP so you don't need to manually/permanently open the port? I had to manually open it in my router's firewall before this would work.

2.) Before I opened the port, obviously it didn't connect. However, I never got any message as to such, it would would be nice for it to tell you it failed to connect and why if possible.
a.) Also, in this state (failed connection) sometimes the menu options would cause the app to force close or at least hang the app.

3.) On my phone (Verizon HTC Droid DNA running android 4.1.1) - the "expand / collapse" symbols/carrots, are overlapping the text. It doesn't look like your screenshots. I believe this is likely due to my phones high resolution (1080x1920) - though 1080p+ android devices are become more common now. Here's a screenshot, resized to 25% that shows this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zj4la585s506e ... ndroid.png
Protonus
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/12/09

Postby t3chnomanc3r » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:43 pm

"NBRemote has stoppped"

Everytime I try to connect to the computer I added. The entry is there with all the correct info, it just crashes. I did uninstall & reinstall with latest download, same.

Is there a log file you want?

Inspire/DHD
ViperDHD 1.2.3
t3chnomanc3r
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/04/03

Postby dexter » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:26 pm

Did it ever work for you or did this just start happening?

If it never worked for you, there is a known issue with some early Android 4.0.x versions. I have an idea how to fix it but haven't been able to dedicate time to it yet.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Stan1415 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:14 am

These two items would make the remote very useful for me:

Enable use of dynamic dns addresses
Add ability to have remote send .nzb files to host.

Thank you!
Stan1415
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/23/02

Postby dexter » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:26 am

It should allow a domain name or an IP address now. Not sure it needs anything special to handle dynamic dns as long as you are using a domain.

As for the NZB thing, I'll add it to the list. Development has slowed down for now, few other irons in the fire.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby itimpi » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:26 pm

Stan1415 wrote:Enable use of dynamic dns addresses

I have been using a dynamic dns address ever since Newsbin remote control first came out so that I could easily run it when away from home (the time when I most likely to need it). Nothing special was required to get it working other than setting up the correct port forwarding in my router.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby kami.kenjin » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:29 am

Hi !
I don't manage to make the app work.
When i connect le app to NewsBin V6.50 (just downloaded now), i can see the little "popup" "connected" but it crash after 1 or 2 seconds and i get this message from NewsBin :

Code: Links not allowed for unregistered users
[13:08:51]  [b]ERROR Error: WSARecv Socket Error Code: 10054[/b] Une connexion existante a dû être fermée par l’hôte distant.

Maybe it comes from Samsung's android version ?
Do you have a solution ?

Galaxy S3 GT-i9300
Android untouch v4.1.2
kami.kenjin
n00b
n00b

Postby dexter » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:53 pm

There is a known issue in some Android 4.1 versions. We hope to address it in early January.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Newsbin Remote Control