MOTD Links - Use Default Browser

Make suggestions for new features.

Moderator: Quade

MOTD Links - Use Default Browser

Postby Alamei » Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:53 pm

This is a super tiny, low priority request, but I was wondering if it would be difficult for you to update the Newsbin MOTD window so that links act like standard URLs and open in the user's default browser, as opposed to explicitly opening Internet Explorer and loading the links there. I'm sure there was probably a reason for manually routing those links through IE in the past, but I'm hoping that whatever workaround mandated using IE is no longer a factor, given that even Microsoft is making a push to deprecate IE at this point.

If, by some oddity, the MOTD-IE link routing is only happening on my machines, let me know, and I can give you more details about my configuration.
Alamei
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/25/05

Re: MOTD Links - Use Default Browser

Postby dexter » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:21 pm

Yeah, we'd love to do that. Unfortunately it is not easy. The MOTD uses IE internally which is built in to windows. When you follow a URL, it will launch IE regardless of your default browser. We looked in to other alternatives but it vastly increases the .exe size of Newsbin and is not a straightforward integration. It is still something that is on our minds and we do hope to replace the mechanism at some point.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Alamei » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:35 pm

Ah... that makes sense. I didn't realize it was relying on the IE rendering engine internally. I could definitely see it being a pain to have to parse the HTML and re-render it manually in an application window.
Alamei
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/25/05

Postby Quade » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:28 pm

Ah... that makes sense. I didn't realize it was relying on the IE rendering engine internally. I could definitely see it being a pain to have to parse the HTML and re-render it manually in an application window.

if you select "Show Motd Archive" in the help menu, it'll fire up the default browser and you can then follow links from there.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to Feature Requests