With 2+ servers + a 430 missing article, skip to next D/L

Make suggestions for new features.

Moderator: Quade

With 2+ servers + a 430 missing article, skip to next D/L

Postby EvanVanVan2 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:20 pm

Sorry about the cryptic subject, was having difficulty describing the feature request in 60 characters.

Idk how feasible this is, but say I have more than one server enabled (1 or 2 unlimited servers, and/or a few block servers) and a few items in my download list. If the first item on the list is returning a 430 missing article error, for one of the servers, but downloading fine on the backup block servers for instance, could that server that's getting the 430, just skip to the next item on the list and start grabbing that one? Would make downloading several items faster, and not waste one of the servers when it continuously tries to download something that just isn't there.

I'd guess this should really only apply unlimited servers, or the top 1 or 2 priority ones so I wouldn't waste blocks unnecessarily.

Thanks!
EvanVanVan2
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/12/10

Re: With 2+ servers + a 430 missing article, skip to next D/

Postby Quade » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:01 am

1 - If you have servers set to the same priority then they'll simultaneously download and if one gets a 430 the other is eventually tried too but the 430 doesn't block the other connections from downloading at the same time,

2 - What you seem to be asking for is some per server failure threshold on a specific download so, say server #1 is 430ing the download, if enough of the blocks 430 just stop using that server on this particular download.

The idea is interesting. Implementing it might be hard. I'll have to think how I might go about implementing it. I'd need a per download per server counter. The problem is that the current design, a block to download is first attempted by each active server till they all get checked and then the failure is noted. Somehow in the middle of that I'd have to tell it not to use specific servers. None of this is impossible, it's just code. It is rather complicated.

It's worth looking into for sure.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Re: With 2+ servers + a 430 missing article, skip to next D/

Postby EvanVanVan2 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:03 am

1. Yeah, I think it's working fine for me. I haven't noticed problems with a "430-server" "blocking" other ones. I just meant it seemed inefficient if a file is downloading fine on the block severs, to go look at the log tab and see a 430 for every block by the primary server. Probably slows things up, 1. attempting to get the block and 2. even just having to display all those extra log messages. (Lol my next feature request would be a "Hide logging/no logging option" in addition to Normal/Verbose/Debug. :/ Although maybe just closing the logging tab would accomplish the same thing?)

2. And yeah, that's pretty much it. I was even thinking about how the need for some kind of threshold as well, because yeah currently even if 197/200 blocks were missing, the primary sever would still want to be the first to download the 3 blocks that were there.

Thanks man!
EvanVanVan2
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/12/10

Return to Feature Requests