Reading post bodies

Make suggestions for new features.

Moderator: Quade

Reading post bodies

Postby tongueboy » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:41 am

One change I have noticed after updating to the latest beta is that I used to be able to right click and read a post body of a text post easily.
Now I find I can no longer do that and I need to actually download the text post to read it.
This adds another step that wasn't there before.
I love you guys but this program has never been text friendly at all.
Sometimes there are comments in groups that are important to me that I want to read.
You already make it very difficult to respond to groups, I.E. no copy and paste etc.
It bothers me that you would also make it more difficult to READ text posts.
This has long been a complaint of mine as usenet could and should be a means of communication.
You make communication in newsgroups more difficult.
I am sure you have your reasons but it is something that has always bothered me.
I feel if I want to communicate information or respond to posts, I may need to get another newsreader.
I don't want to.
I want this one to work in those situations.
Thanks for hearing me and thanks for creating my favorite news reader
tongueboy
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/27/12

Re: Reading post bodies

Postby Quade » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:55 am

What version are you using? I right click "Read Post" some text only posts and they showed right up. I wonder if what you're downloading are actually files and not just text?

You make communication in newsgroups more difficult.
I am sure you have your reasons but it is something that has always bothered me.
I feel if I want to communicate information or respond to posts, I may need to get another newsreader.
I don't want to.

We just have different goals. I spend all my time trying to work around all the crazy new ways files are posted and to make Newsbin faster and more reliable. These days Ctrl-R/Read Post has been mostly re-purposed to probe into purposely obscured files so you can figure out what's in the file set. You should be able to still Ctrl-R posts. If you can't your best bet is to PM me some examples to look at.

If you add them to the download list and they end up as files in the files list, they're probably really files and not pure text. Whether I support that or not is just a matter of me looking at them and seeing if I should.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to Feature Requests