Description as filename

Make suggestions for new features.

Moderator: Quade

Description as filename

Postby jamesio » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:37 am

You can use SUBJECT and RAWSUBJECT for a filename, but is there a way to use the text that's in the subject box when you're looking at a post?

I see "[3/49] SHOW.I.LIKE.S02E07.OBFUSCATED" as the subject. I use RAWSUBJECT or SUBJECT and for whatever reason, I only get "SHOW.I.LIKE" as the name. It chops off the "S02E07..." part. But if I look up the post properties, it shows that line of text as the description. Is it different?

Or even perhaps let us use regex searches as part of the filename. Such as "(s[0-9][0-9]e[0-9][0-9])" as $(1) and then I can make the filename as "Nice Name $(1)" and fall back to everything if it fails. Make sense?
jamesio
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/26/03

Re: Description as filename

Postby gj8 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:10 pm

I have the same problem. For a few months, I've basically just been ignoring usenet because Newsbin pulls in nothing but obfuscated folder/filenames like "9f64cd80055a49a38feefe6a4ef31a5b".

When I search in Newsbin, however, I see that, but I also get a clear description of the file including things like S01E01, which is what I really need.

I've tried changing the download path in the Groups List properties to SUBJECT and RAWSUBJECT (and I already also have FILENAME in the path), but none of that contains that information.

Maybe posters have started a new trend of posting in that style for some reason? It looks like that might correspond to a checksum value. At any rate, I'm not really able to make any use of usenet until some way to tie out the description that searching manually shows you into the download paths.
gj8
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 06/12/13

Return to Feature Requests