Is search really that bad...

General NewsBin and Usenet related discussions. Make recommendations for additional specific discussion groups.

Moderators: Quade, dexter

Is search really that bad...

Postby dsc001 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:29 am

...or am I doing something wrong?

I ask because although I can download headers from a group and search fine using operators, whenever I try it on internet search it'll invariably do something like this:

"term 1" - 1000 results
"term 2" - 1000 results
"term 1" OR "term 2" - 2 results

Gets worse. If I then search for:

"term 1" OR "term 2" OR "term 3" OR "term 4" I get zero results.

What gives? I give a search more, but specific options I know exist and it returns nothing. Is this how it works and therefore something I should definitely not sign up for?
dsc001
n00b
n00b

Re: Is search really that bad...

Postby Quade » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:58 am

It's like an Iphone, you're just not holding it right... Just kidding.

How about using the support form on the main website, send a message directly to Dex with specifics about what you're looking for and he can look into it. My guess is that all the data is there, it's just a matter of figuring out why it's not showing up for you.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby dexter » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:30 pm

I am not able to recreate what you are reporting. Make sure that there is only one term between the OR's. If you have multiple words or if you are explicitly quoting stuff, it isn't going to work. Simply something like "term1 OR term2 OR term3" (without the quotes) returns correct results for me.

If you are doing this but the results don't seem right, please contact us through our tech support form with the specific query you are using and I can look into it.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby dsc001 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:32 pm

dexter wrote:I am not able to recreate what you are reporting. Make sure that there is only one term between the OR's. If you have multiple words or if you are explicitly quoting stuff, it isn't going to work. Simply something like "term1 OR term2 OR term3" (without the quotes) returns correct results for me.

If you are doing this but the results don't seem right, please contact us through our Links not allowed for unregistered users with the specific query you are using and I can look into it.

Ah, okay, I get it - so the local search is regex but the internet search is regex-like? So a literal string isn't a literal string if it contains periods or underscore or hyphens? Which is what it is, because one or more of the terms contains one of those.

I'm in the car right now (on my iPhone, and I think I'm holding it right) so I can't check the newsbin search history but I think one of the terms was "test OR abgx". Which individually returned about 1000 results each but with the OR operator I got two. I'll check when I get home and see if I can send some example searches without periods or underscores that didn't work through the support form.
dsc001
n00b
n00b

Postby dexter » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:10 pm

Local search uses standard regular expressions, Internet Search is Boolean, more like Google. It supports AND (which is the default when there are spaces between keywords), OR (or use the pipe "|"), and negation using a minus sign "-".

Some examples:

this that <-- returns subjects containing both the words this and that
this OR that <-- returns subjects containing either this or that (or both, this is not an exclusive or)
this | that <-- same as OR
this -that <-- returns subjects containing the word this but not the word that

You can also perform wildcard searches by using an asterisk by itself. You can either do it across all groups, type a specific group in the "Search in Groups" field, or select a Group Folder containing groups you want to search. Clicking the 2nd arrow to the right of the search icon, that says "Load Older Posts into the List" will go back a day at a time through the group or groups.

Hope this helps.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion