Accessing Internet Sites for NZB files

General NewsBin and Usenet related discussions. Make recommendations for additional specific discussion groups.

Moderators: Quade, dexter

Accessing Internet Sites for NZB files

Postby OldGuyWalking » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:02 pm

Due to obfuscation of names and files being spread across multiple groups so an NZB is required to put them back together I started looking at sites that provide packaged NZB's. One such site is NZBGeek. In a couple of days I was able to fill in alot of missing files and even found some that I wasn't aware were still available. I'd setup a watchlist on their site so shows show up in a cart very quickly after they are posted. Simialar to Newsbins WatchList.

They also have an API but when I asked about using it to automate getting NZB files from the cart downloaded into a folder on my computer so my newsreader could download the files the responses I got were pretty much to use a combination of NZBGeek, SAB, and Sonarr. That was from NZBGeek staff.

As one person put it -
NZBGeek is the NZB provider
SAB is the NZB downloader
Sonarr ties it all together.

I'm not particularly interested in setting up more watchlists or switching away from Newsbin.

I've seen some references to SickBeard in here but not sure if it's the NZB provider or a multimedia manager like Sonarr.

Basically all I want is to get NZB's from an external site into Newsbin that will give me complete and usable files without a bunch of extra bells and whistles or client apps that I don't absolutely need.

Anyone know of a way to achieve this?

And please draw pictures and use language a 3rd grader would understand. Or just tell me it can't be done. Because when I first brought this up I figured there would be a simple answer that did not involve switching out everything I use to internet based apps.

Thanks
OldGuyWalking
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/14/06

Re: Accessing Internet Sites for NZB files

Postby KingFish » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:12 pm

I suggest that you start here: Remote NZB Support

And there are several message threads here in the Newsbin forum with helpful suggestions and advice.

That should at least get you started.

A Fellow Old Guy.
MS Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit - ASUS P8Z77-V LE; Intel i7-3770K 3.5 GHz; 16.0GB DDR3; 512MB EVGA GeForce GTX 760; SAMSUNG 850 500GB SATA III SSD; 2 X HGST 3TB 7200RPM 6.0Gb/s SATA III.
KingFish
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/17/03

Postby OldGuyWalking » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:35 pm

Kingfish,

I've done some searches through the Newsbin forums, Google, and other sites. The apps I'm finding (i.e. Sonarr or Sickbeard, SickRage, or CouchPotato, etc.) all have extra features that I don't want or need. They are pretty and probably automate a few things I haven't automated myself in terms of media management. But I use Newsbin for searches and I trust it's ability to avoid spam and encrypted passworded junk. I use epCheck, a very small portable freeware app that accesses TVDB.com for show and episode information. It's not as automated as the apps above but it's simple and and easy to use and maintain. For managing my media files I've got my own scripts that automate all of that. At this point, all I really want or need is access to a good NZB Indexer.

I've decided to take on a new challenge. I'm still going to continue to look for a barebones app that would allow me to automate sending a query to an NZB indexing server through an API and downloading the relevant NZB's and then feed those files to Newsbin.

In the meantime, while I'm not new to computers or programming, everyone is a newbie about something at some point. At the moment, for me, it is trying to understand if I can write a script (in AutoIt) that will let me leverage an API to search for and retrieve NZB files from a site like NZBGeek. It might be a deadend but I want to know for sure one way or another.

From reading some earlier posts (after searching on NZB Indexer) it looked like Newsbin is looking into expanding it's WatchList functionality to include the ability to use Sonarr as an NZB indexer. (I'd missed seeing those posts doing earlier searches)?

Not sure what the status is at the moment with that project or if it's still being considered. But, with the difficulties in locating files becoming more of an issue, this type of functionality would certainly be a beneficial enhancement to Newsbins search and WatchList functionality which is going to become less and less useful as more files are obfuscated and become impossible to find using normal searches (boolean or regex).

Of course, if Newsbin does manage to automate the process I'd have to find another hobby to work on but I could mange.

Thank you for your suggestions.

OldGuyWalking
OldGuyWalking
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:02 pm

I'm still going to continue to look for a barebones app that would allow me to automate sending a query to an NZB indexing server through an API and downloading the relevant NZB's and then feed those files to Newsbin.

There's multiple ways to feed. One is to use the NZB Watch folders. The other is by using the same TCP interface Newsbin listens on for Sonarr commands. You can actually tell Newsbin the full URL and it can download the NZB's from the site or you can send the NZB's directly over the connection.

It requires some json encoded text to tell Newsbin what to do.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby OldGuyWalking » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:43 pm

OldGuyWalking wrote:There's multiple ways to feed. One is to use the NZB Watch folders. The other is by using the same TCP interface Newsbin listens on for Sonarr commands. You can actually tell Newsbin the full URL and it can download the NZB's from the site or you can send the NZB's directly over the connection.

It requires some json encoded text to tell Newsbin what to do.

I do use the NZB Watch when I manually download NZB's. For the site I'm downloading from, if I download each file individually it downloads as an NZB file. If I select multiple files to download it will zip them so I have all of the files going to the default user\download folder. I have a script that extracts the NZB files from the zip file, extracts the subject (usually the obfuscated name) and the meta type "name" field which, about 90% of the time, has the scene name and stores them in a separate log. Then it moves the NZB files into the NZB Watch folder so Newsin can download the files. Once the files have been UNRAR'd I'll read through the log and when there's a match between the UNRAR'd file and the obfuscated name I'll rename the UNRAR'd file to the scene name. Renaming works most of the time but not perfect.

I'm still trying to figure the steps to do the rest. The site I'm trying to pull the NZB's from is NZBGeek.

Not looking for anyone to do the coding but I do better with specific working examples (and pictures) rather than general concepts. I'm just trying to get past the learning curve at the moment and without having any experience in this particular type of coding I'm pretty much lost at the moment. [Any specific examples that might apply on how to do the steps you mentioned that relate to that specific site would be helpful if you're so inclined.] <<-- ( Ignore this... ahem..ah.. I see that you already have. :wink: )

After additional digging I might actually have a glimmer of where to start, or actually about 8 different places. I really should have learned html 30 years ago... who knew it was more than a passing fad.. :oops:

Thanks,

OldGuyWalking
OldGuyWalking
Active Participant
Active Participant

Return to General Discussion