search filters

General NewsBin and Usenet related discussions. Make recommendations for additional specific discussion groups.

Moderators: Quade, dexter

search filters

Postby 1leonnb » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:10 pm

Hi
How would I write the following filter in newsbin please? (standard internet search directly from the search window)

everything by "thisposter" containing "this1" and "this2" but NOT containing"This3" and NOT containing "this4" between 2 days ago and 8 days ago and file size between 100kb and 800kb?

thanks -Leon

Is there a list anywhere of common english filter requests and how they should look for newsbin?
1leonnb
n00b
n00b

Re: search filters

Postby Quade » Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:30 pm

You want to filter posters or search specifically for posters?

If you want to filter posters, you need to use a filter profile.

I'd make a filter profile with the posters listed. Remember it's regular expressions so it could be something like:

"this[1-2]poster"

which means "this(1 or 2)poster".

You can also simply add multiple posters

"this1poster"
"this2poster"

But doing it in one line is more efficient. I'd suggest not putting the whole poster with the @ in there. Just put enough to uniquely identify the poster

Then set a size filter too in the profile. Then after you search you can apply the profile to the results you currently have displayed. For the age, I suggest just sorting by age and using your eyeballs.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby 1leonnb » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:14 pm

I shouldn't have use the word filter in my original question as that is not what I meant. - sorry
I want this as an initial search to type in the search bar.
thanks

edit
here is what I want in the format of one of your competitors.

I enter this directly into the search bar.

<this1 this2 -this3 -this4 Poster:thisposter MinDays:2 MaxDays:8 MinKB:50 MaxKB:800>

filtering for it is not an option because even this search could result in 2000+ entries (searches would actually have a much wider day and size spread)
1leonnb
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:34 pm

You can set min-max sizes and max days already. The settings at the top of the tab get sent to the search server.

Honestly for what you're trying to do, I'd probably not use poster filtering at all. I'd do a broad search and then use a filter profile to display what you're interested in.

If you use a watch list setup for search, the results will accumulate so, it probably doesn't matter if you only get 2000 results because they all get stored in the watch list and can be loaded like a group.

I'll ask Dex but I don't think the poster searching lends itself to what you're trying to do.

You can combine watch lists with filter profiles too in order to use a relatively broad search term and then use the filter profile to reduce the results to just what you want.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby 1leonnb » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:50 pm

My head hurts!!!!! Image link not allowed for unregistered users I'd forgotten why I stopped doing this several years back - nothing's changed lol! Image link not allowed for unregistered users

Would it be better for me to search via the other application I mentioned, create NZBs from the results and then fire them to Newsbin to process?
1leonnb
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:00 am

My head hurts!

You immediately jumped for a complicated result. Maybe you should start small and work your way up to it?

Do a search by subject, add a size filter from the display, do another search, limit the age range

Try searching for poster.

You can use it any way you want. NZB Files, search, headers or using an automated NZB Feeder like Sonarr.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby 1leonnb » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:44 am

I don't think I understand the concept of NB's searching. If I'm limited to 2000 or so search results how can I search for stuff covering many months or years? If I search for a poster and that poster's files makes up the 2000 then great but if i'm bringing down 2000 files from every poster and then running a filter that may account for only 2 days worth of data and my poster may not even have posted then.

Is it that I should be keeping a massive local custom-list updated and doing the searches on that rather than on your servers? If so how do I do it? I've tried selecting a file type, clicking the load more buttons and then saving the results to a custom list but all it did was freeze NB with a blue circle and a not responding window heading.

Also I dont see a way to populate the list automatically instead of keep pressing the load more buttons. If I'm going to be creating a list of 100,000+ headers and only able to manually bring down <2000 at a time it's going to be a real pain. I cant do it by group either because the posts are not in the same group all the time.

what am I missing? You guys are switched on and NBpro is a 5 star newsreader (I've been using it with sickbeard 24/7 for years and couldn't live without it) but when it comes to searching for adhoc- stuff across all groups it baffles me.

btw I dont want to get hung up on poster either...it could be any "keyword" and often any "not Keyword" eg if a lot of results are german but the word german is not in there I may just do a few "not" for "ein" or some other combination of letters I see used often. This is why a pre-made template or drop down menu isn't useful either.
1leonnb
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:46 am

but when it comes to searching for adhoc- stuff across all groups it baffles me.

I just put a search string in and search. If the search topic isn't too broad, I don't hit 2000 hits. I use watch lists for searches I want to do periodically, that I want to collect so I can look at them later. I use the search tab primarily for stuff I may have heard about somewhere. If I want to look inside specific groups that I'm subscribed too, I select the group topic before I search so the search engine only looks in those groups. If I know the files are relatively large I set a minimum file size which tends to filter out the spam. I treat it like google.

I'm not getting the 2000-10,000 issue. Are you planning on adding all 10,000 to the download list?

Old results are static and unchanging. It's not like if you search today and see something, you'll see something different in the old results tomorrow. Only the new results change, then they too become static. Nothing is ever added to the list from the past. So, if you collect up 10,000 results, You download the 100 things you like, it's pretty much pointless to then generate the list again because nothing will have changed in the old results. You'll see the same 10,000 you saw before plus new posts that happened since the last search so, you probably don't have to collect more than the defaults except for the first time you search for a particular topic.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby 1leonnb » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:05 pm

I'll stick at it...It'll come to me eventually I'm sure. Thanks Quade
1leonnb
n00b
n00b

Postby 1leonnb » Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:51 pm

I notice that building a list takes over NB. Can I build one in the background? if so how?

I can't afford to have NB down for much more than an hour at a time else it screws with the automation. I have 12000 articles in my search to build the custom-list with. Will I be able to do it without impacting normal NBpro operations?

If not.... Can I build the list on another computer and then easily port it to my main machine? - what files need moving?

thnx

Just as an aside...Getting the search and hitting the "update older" button 10 times doesn't take too long. Why so long to write that to disk for re-use in the form of a custom list?

EDIT..............

just tried with a bigger list and NB seems stuck with the green status bar about 25%. Its been this way for 2 hours - I'm thinking of killing it.

The error window keeps reporting "ERROR CWebClient::Body - Read Failed "every 20 mins or so.
1leonnb
n00b
n00b

Postby 1leonnb » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:46 pm

is there an update on this please? Also should I raise a support ticket for the errors? cheers
1leonnb
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:24 pm

Like I said before, you're doing things the hard way. I don't get why you can't just search, tag what you want to download and then later search again.

Trying to save off 10,000 hits wastes a bunch of bandwidth and is essentially not that different than downloading headers from the groups. Not downloading a bunch of extraneous data is the whole goal of search.

You seem to be treating it like a header download which isn't what it's intended for.

That said I have an action item to change how feeding search to a custom list works. I never expected someone to use it like you are so, now I have to add some defensive coding.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby 1leonnb » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:29 pm

When you turn 70yrs+ your brain isn't what it used to be....take it from me! I guess I'm just missing something. Basically I don't see how to get something from 2000 days old by using only a filter that needs to have everything start from day 0.0. Like I said ...fuzzy noggin nowadays though.

Quade wrote:That said I have an action item to change how feeding search to a custom list works. I never expected someone to use it like you are so, now I have to add some defensive coding.

No need to change anything if you dont think anyone else will use it that way. I really don't want to cause any trouble. I'm happy to search using the other folks' search engine and stick with newsbin for automated downloading.

I appreciate you coming back to me on your support forum though. I really didn't want to cause any upset Image link not allowed for unregistered users

Much obliged
Leo
1leonnb
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:08 am

No need to change anything if you dont think anyone else will use it that way. I really don't want to cause any trouble. I'm happy to search using the other folks' search engine and stick with newsbin for automated downloading.

I'm going to change it anyway. You ought to be able to save off 10,000 results without having to pull all the data from the search engine right then and there. That's how the internet-search based watch lists works. So, I just have to make sure custom lists work the same way. I might do it this way because custom lists can mix search and local header data whereas the watch lists are either headers or search with no mixing.

I'm not clear why you drifted toward probably the worst possible way of using search but if you do it that way, I'm sure other people will too. I don't really ask "why" much anymore. Instead it's better to just make it work properly.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Return to General Discussion