Way to purge old headers from a group?

General NewsBin and Usenet related discussions. Make recommendations for additional specific discussion groups.

Moderators: Quade, dexter

Way to purge old headers from a group?

Postby chroma601 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:08 pm

Poking around the interface I failed to figure out how to clear months of header backlog. I know I need to sit down and make a filter for all the damn spam in a.b.teevee, but just to make things move faster, is there a way to delete old headers, say from two weeks ago and older, and not grab them again?
chroma601
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/14/06

Re: Way to purge old headers from a group?

Postby Quade » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:48 pm

The "Storage age" controls how long it keeps headers around. If you set it to 14 days, Newsbin will automatically purge any headers older than that next time you update the group.

The only issue there is that storage age hits all groups. If you have some you want to keep long term, that might not work for you.

You might be better off setting a 14 day "Download Age" then right clicking the group and "Post Storage/Delete Stored Posts" then downloading headers normally again to make it pull the last 14 days worth.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby technogeek » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:39 pm

It would sure be nice to purge selectively, that one newsgroup's billions of spam headers are creating a nightmare. I've had to just stop saving headers in that group at all which is a bummer. Being able to "Purge / Delete Filtered Post Headers" would make me say Aahhh like sinking into a hot bath. With girlie bath suds.
TANSTAAFL
technogeek
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/24/03

Postby technogeek » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:02 pm

Found your post about "DownloadFilter=" - That's good enough for me. Thanks!
(Seeing the responses though I'm sort of amazed how people can make something simple so complicated...) :roll:
TANSTAAFL
technogeek
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/24/03

Return to General Discussion