Usenet search

General NewsBin and Usenet related discussions. Make recommendations for additional specific discussion groups.

Moderators: Quade, dexter

Usenet search

Postby rassafratz » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:27 am

For the last few days I've been persistently pestered by an MOTD which implored me to subscribe to usenetserver.

However, when I tried to do that, it refused to accept my email address which has an underscore in my username.

How freaging cheesy is that?

However, during this mini-fiasco I happened across mention of newsbin usenet search, so I thought this might be a good idea because I thought could search across myriad newsgroups for content without being limited to the few massive newsgroups I have on my local disk.

But ummm...NO.

Unless you guys can come up with a way of including "pictures" and "erotica" groups in your search, there is NO good reason to be paying you guys money for such a pathetically lame service, and I will want my $15/3 months back.

I can actually get better results for free by using NZB search engines like binsearch. While these engines do not carry certain groups, they do carry a.b.p.*, a.b.e.* and a.b.p.e.* groups.

So how do we resolve this?
rassafratz
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/29/13

Re: Usenet search

Postby rassafratz » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:04 am

Well?

Is there a way of fixing this?

If not, then how do I go about getting my money back?
rassafratz
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:54 am

Unless you guys can come up with a way of including "pictures" and "erotica" groups in your search, there is NO good reason to be paying you guys money for such a pathetically lame service, and I will want my $15/3 months back.

Search doesn't have pictures in it because the groups are small and there aren't many people searching for images. I don't see that changing.

For the last few days I've been persistently pestered by an MOTD which implored me to subscribe to usenetserver.

However, when I tried to do that, it refused to accept my email address which has an underscore in my username.

If you see the MOTD every time you launch. It suggests you need to re-submit the key. In the help menu/"Register Update Key" verify the key information and re-submit then restart Newsbin.

How freaging cheesy is that?

Doing oddball things will result in oddball results. It looks like it's legal to have a leading underscore though so you might ask them to fixe it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Email_address

Wonder if it would have worked if you quoted the "local" part of the address?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby rassafratz » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:19 pm

Quade wrote:Search doesn't have pictures in it because the groups are small...

Say WUT??? alt.binaries.pictures.* and alt.binaries.*.erotica.* comprise some of the largest groups on usenet!!!

Please don't respond to my queries as if I were some kind of usenet n00b.

...and there aren't many people searching for images

And of course that has nothing to do with the fact that you don't provide picture groups for people to search, right?

If you didn't provide a search service at all, you could use the same argument to claim that a search service isn't necessary because nobody is searching for anything anyway.

If you see the MOTD every time you launch. It suggests you need to re-submit the key. In the help menu/"Register Update Key" verify the key information and re-submit then restart Newsbin

Maybe so. I had to "renew" my key when I signed up for the search service, and I don't see that particular nag screen any more.

Doing oddball things will result in oddball results. It looks like it's legal to have a leading underscore though so you might ask them to fixe it

An underscore in an email name is "oddball"??

Wonder if it would have worked if you quoted the "local" part of the address?

Interesting. I didn't even know that was possible for an email address. I'll have to keep that in mind if I ever come across the need again. :-)

Still, since usenetserver is the first and ONLY site which has ever challenged my email due to form, I don't need them so badly that I feel a need to "fight for the right" to become a subscriber.

And so the bottom line of my previous notes remains unchanged: Your usenet search service is inadequate, anemic, provides no benefit and is completely outperformed by "free" services one can find easily on the web.

How do I go about getting my $15 back?

rassafratz
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby dexter » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:40 pm

rassafratz wrote:How do I go about getting my $15 back? 

If you are searching for pictures, our Search index is not for you. For picture groups, you can just download headers for those groups and use local search which is included in Newsbin without an additional fee.

I have cancelled your subscription and issued a refund.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Quade » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:43 am

Say WUT??? alt.binaries.pictures.* and alt.binaries.*.erotica.* comprise some of the largest groups on usenet!!!

Not really. "Boneless" the largest group has at least 6 billion posts in it. a.b.pictures.erotica has had 70 million posts in the past 3000 days. On the other hand, large groups get that every week.
a.b.pictures.erotica is a sort of middle of the road sized group.

An underscore in an email name is "oddball"??

Leading underscores are kinda odd. I'm not suggesting they're right to reject it. As I said it looks like a legal email. We're not usenetserver so we have no control of their website or admission process.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby rassafratz » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:48 am

dexter wrote:If you are searching for pictures, our Search index is not for you

Yeah, I think we've pretty much settled that issue :-)

For picture groups, you can just download headers for those groups and use local search which is included in Newsbin without an additional fee

Which is the way I've been doing it for the last couple of years.

I tried your usenet search engine thinking that perhaps you accessed a full complement of newsgroups, a la the likes of astraweb or giganews, and that I could search across a wider sea without downloading massive headers from only a few groups.

Ah well, ya wins some, and ya loses some... :(

I have cancelled your subscription and issued a refund

Well THAT was easier than I expected! It's greatly appreciated, and I thank you!

Quade wrote:"Boneless" the largest group has at least 6 billion posts in it

That's true. In fact, my listing shows 19.6 billion. And 8 non-picture, non-erotica groups later in my list comes alt.binaries.erotica, clocking in at just under 5 billion.

But that does not belie my contention that "alt.binaries.pictures.* and alt.binaries.*.erotica.* comprise some of the largest groups on usenet". Please note my use and placement of the 3 asterisks. I'm not talking about 1 or 2 newsgroups here, I'm talking entire genres of groups.

Leading underscores are kinda odd

I would agree, but the underscore in my email is used in a typical manner as a separator between 2 terms, e.g: chevy_327@motorcity.com

I'm not suggesting they're right to reject it. As I said it looks like a legal email. We're not usenetserver so we have no control of their website

Fair enough. My whining about their cheesiness was rather misdirected here. Sorry. :-)

In any event, this has been a productive thread for me, and I appreciate the attention from both Quade and dexter to it and thank you both.

rassafratz
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Return to General Discussion