how to tell Newsbin working on fileset?

General NewsBin and Usenet related discussions. Make recommendations for additional specific discussion groups.

Moderators: Quade, dexter

how to tell Newsbin working on fileset?

Postby coyote2 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:38 pm

in the past, I've always figured that if a fileset finishes d/l-ing, has missing files, and nothing happens when I "Assemble Incompletes" (this last thing often triggers PAR Repair and a successful UnRAR), it's dead. This happened rarely.

But lately I've stumbled onto a bunch of filesets that I've discovered aren't dead. The "Current Progress" column doesn't say anything, it's simply solid blue nearly to the rightmost edge.

Then I happened to look at the Win8.1 Task Manager, and Newsbin is using 90+% CPU. For like an hour. Then I went away for awhile (maybe 15 minutes) and the unRAR is done and Newsbin is back to a couple % CPU. (The row with a nearly complete blue bar is still there: the only way I "knew" the unRAR completed is because Windows let me rename/remove the resulting file from the unRAR folder.)

I only inferred the CPU usage was by the apparently dead fileset because the rest of the filesets in the d/l queue had completed.

is there some more straightforward way to know that Newsbin is cranking on a particular fileset?

(Ah: In Autorar Properties, I see a 90% full green bar with an animation [on another such fileset I'm expecting to PAR Repair/UnRAR]; is that animation telling me it's being worked on?)

6.80b9

Edit: The bar is still solid blue even though it MUST be UnRARing because the file is in the UnRAR folder (but not complete, since I can't yet rename/move it).
Edit 2: And now I infer it's completed because I can rename/move it. Autorar properties shows no green bar. File box says "No files found". But fileset with solid blue bar remails.
Edit 3: I exclusively d/l from NZB files. And these filesets all have multiple (dozens) of lines only one of which expands with a + sign into sub-lines.

Guidance, please?
coyote2
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/19/09

Re: how to tell Newsbin working on fileset?

Postby Quade » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:10 pm

Missed this sorry.

Do you have off-screen downloads? I mean can you scroll down the download list? I'm wondering if unrar/repair is happening off the current sceen.

Edit 3: I exclusively d/l from NZB files. And these filesets all have multiple (dozens) of lines only one of which expands with a + sign into sub-lines.

Yeah, this is probably the issue. I'd expect the progress for these downloads to only be shown on the grouped PAR files.

How about emailing me some of these NZB's? ts@newsbin.com
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to General Discussion