How do I tell when "Show Posts" completes loading?

There is no such thing as a stupid question here as long as it pertains to using NewsBin. Newbies feel free to get help getting started or asking questions that may be obvious. Regular users are asked to be gentle. :-)

Moderators: Quade, dexter

How do I tell when "Show Posts" completes loading?

Postby ChinaClipper » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:27 am

When I open the "Groups List" panel and right click on a group (actually a group containing many news groups) and select "Show Posts": how do I tell when when all the posts are loaded and visible in the list of posts? I can wait for the "new files" count go down to zero, but even after that I observe that posts are still loading into the panel. No numbers on the status bar change. Usually I select several posts (highlight them) and wait for the sort order to change and the highlight to clear. That seems pretty clumsy and apparently unreliable. Any suggestions?
ChinaClipper
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/02/04

Re: How do I tell when "Show Posts" completes loading?

Postby Quade » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:40 pm

There's a progress bar that pops up, then goes down. Until it goes down, it's still in the process of loading.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby ChinaClipper » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:14 pm

Yes, I know that (I've been using Newsbin for many years and love it). The progress bar appears and then disappears, appears and then disappears... and so on. Sometimes it is quick sometimes it is slow. I can never tell when it is not going to reappear.
ChinaClipper
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/02/04

Postby dexter » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:16 pm

Also, keep an eye on the header backlog to be processed. It's displayed in the Status bar and looks like "Cache 200/200 (0)" when idle. If there is a number other than 0 in the parenthesis, it means Newsbin is still processing header data into the header database. It's actually best to wait for this to go to 0 until even loading a post list. Otherwise it'll look like the post list never completely loads and it can seem like a long time if you are sitting there looking at it.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Quade » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:14 pm

Yes, I know that (I've been using Newsbin for many years and love it). The progress bar appears and then disappears, appears and then disappears... and so on. Sometimes it is quick sometimes it is slow. I can never tell when it is not going to reappear.

Well:

1 - You have to have headers on disk to show

2 - The headers can't be filtered out because of some filter you've set

If you see the progress bar and it's progressng and then stop but see not headers then the most likely cause is that your headers are filter.

1 - "Hide Old"

2 - "Storage Age" (some people set it short enough so newly dowloaded headers are already purged.

3 - Poster Lockouts.

4 - New headers have stopped importing - Check the "Cache" line and see of there's a number in parens. If there is, that represents header chunks to import into the header database.

You could try clicking the filter button which ios th
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Return to Newbie Forum