Poster accept filter

There is no such thing as a stupid question here as long as it pertains to using NewsBin. Newbies feel free to get help getting started or asking questions that may be obvious. Regular users are asked to be gentle. :-)

Moderators: Quade, dexter

Poster accept filter

Postby dane » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:30 am

Hi Guys - using newsbin 6.73 build 4821, I've had good success using filters in newsbin - especially reject filters for subject or poster. I'm having trouble with a filter to accept a poster. The filter dialogue allows accept if poster contains...

I'm trying to accept posts from a poster listed as Oldstuff <nordic@danish.edu> but no part of this poster name seems to accept posts.I've tried:
Oldstuff
nordic
nordic@danish

and a bunch of other combinations with no luck. Have I misunderstood how this filter is supposed to work?

TIA,
DaDane
dane
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/25/05

Re: Poster accept filter

Postby Quade » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:55 am

Is this using headers or search? Depending on the answer, the way you do it changes.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby dane » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:18 am

This is using headers - setting a filter for what's displayed after I d/l a group's headers. I want to only display listings from certain posters.

DaDane
dane
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby dane » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:00 am

Hi - I've experimented a little further and here's what I find:

If a filter includes a condition to reject a subject that doesn't exist in the group - the filter works
if a filter includes a condition to accept a subject that doesn't exist in the group - the filter works
If a filter includes a condition to reject a poster that doesn't exist in the group - the filter works
If a filter includes a condition to accept a poster that doesn't exist in the group - none of the condition in the filter work - the filter presents no records.

DaDane
dane
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby dane » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:24 am

Hi - I've experimented a little further and here's what I find:

If a filter includes a condition to reject a subject that doesn't exist in the group - the filter works
if a filter includes a condition to accept a subject that doesn't exist in the group - the filter works
If a filter includes a condition to reject a poster that doesn't exist in the group - the filter works
If a filter includes a condition to accept a poster that doesn't exist in the group - none of the condition in the filter work - the filter presents no records.

DaDane
dane
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby dane » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:42 am

Follow-up testing:

Today, in viewing the group a.b.boneless, if you create a filter that accepts if subject contains RuDa - the filter displays records.
If you create a filter that accepts posters that contain unknown - the filter displays records
a filter that accepts posters that contain unknown and posters that contain abcdef - displays records
but a filter that accepts subjects containing RuDa and posters containing unknown - returns no records. It's as if these conditions are being treated as an .and. condition and not an .or.

DaDane
dane
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Return to Newbie Forum