Watch List/Local Header Search vs Internet Search

There is no such thing as a stupid question here as long as it pertains to using NewsBin. Newbies feel free to get help getting started or asking questions that may be obvious. Regular users are asked to be gentle. :-)

Moderators: Quade, dexter

Watch List/Local Header Search vs Internet Search

Postby hmouse27 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:26 pm

So I have scoured the forums and found several other topics on Watch Lists / Local Searches / Internet Searches and how they work and differ from one another. I also saw the recent posts regarding obfuscated posts and that you are going to be working on reading them better.

However I have a specific question I was hoping to get some clarity on:

I have a specific Group I download headers on and update every hour.
I have a watch list setup for this group with a search string in the format of: word word word (If what I read is correct this should work as a AND between the words.)
I was getting no results on the watch list so I decided to run a Internet Search with the exact same Search String and got 3 results about 10 days old.
I then decided to look in the particular group that the internet search found them in around the same time frame and found a match of size and poster but the name was completely obfuscated.
I Re-scanned the watch list topic and again received no results.
I then ran a Search on the Group using the same Search String as I did in the Internet Search and Watch List and again received no results.
I then downloaded the obfuscated file from my stored header group and it was indeed the file that showed up in the Internet Search Results.

It was my understanding that the Internet Search / Watch List / Local Search all used the same code to decrypt the Obfuscated filenames. If this is the case why would it work on Internet Search but not on the other two? Is that not the case?

Are you only providing the decrypt filename feature through the Internet Search function?
hmouse27
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/25/12

Re: Watch List/Local Header Search vs Internet Search

Postby Quade » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:32 pm

I then downloaded the obfuscated file from my stored header group and it was indeed the file that showed up in the Internet Search Results.

Internet search is able to de-obscure some obscured posts through some post processing. In Newsbin itself, Ctrl-R on the obscure post will effectively pull and display the same information we post process in the search engine.

So, in this case an internet search based watch list would probably work but a header based one probably won't.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby hmouse27 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:14 pm

Yes Sir. CTRL-R on the post does indeed show the correct information and in fact looks like an entire .nfo file.

So as you stated, it does not appear the Watch List and Local Search on the group are able to read that information in the same way the Search Internet Function does.

The whole point of using a Watch List (at least in my mind) is to automate the process and not have to click on every single post (CTRL-R) and let it find and auto download the file for you. So not having this feature in a Local Watch List makes it pretty useless these days.. (Unless your searching for something that is never obfuscated)

Is this something you guys are planning on implementing in the future for Watch Lists and Local Searches? Or is this an Internet Search feature only?

Thanks
hmouse27
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:36 am

Is this something you guys are planning on implementing in the future for Watch Lists and Local Searches? Or is this an Internet Search feature only?

We're working right now on trying to de-obscure the new generation of obscured posts we don't currently handle so, at the moment all efforts are going to improving the search engine. So, even if I was to add some post-processing scanning thing, it won't be anytime soon.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby hmouse27 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:14 pm

Understood thanks for the clarification and your time.
hmouse27
n00b
n00b

Return to Newbie Forum