Confused about paid searches

There is no such thing as a stupid question here as long as it pertains to using NewsBin. Newbies feel free to get help getting started or asking questions that may be obvious. Regular users are asked to be gentle. :-)

Moderators: Quade, dexter

Confused about paid searches

Postby KnurledNut » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:38 am

I'm still in trial mode and getting ready to make my purchase. But I'm confused...

$30 for Newsbin Pro w/ Usenet Search or $20 for just Newsbin Pro

If I chose the $20 Newsbin option does this mean that the search option in the software goes away? I already have paid usenet access through another provider and only need the software to access to it.

I'm kind of a luddite when it comes to this stuff.
KnurledNut
n00b
n00b

Re: Confused about paid searches

Postby Quade » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:17 pm

If I chose the $20 Newsbin option does this mean that the search option in the software goes away?

You can still search without a sub, you just can't download from the results you searched for without a sub.

Without search, you'll have to either download headers to find out what's in the groups (typically terabytes of data) or find some other methods to find out what's in the groups. Paid search just makes things much easier.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby KnurledNut » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:26 pm

Quade wrote:
If I chose the $20 Newsbin option does this mean that the search option in the software goes away?

You can still search without a sub, you just can't download from the results you searched for without a sub.

Without search, you'll have to either download headers to find out what's in the groups (typically terabytes of data) or find some other methods to find out what's in the groups. Paid search just makes things much easier.

Ok, thanks for that.

I guess I'm more of a basic search kind of person. I don't search groups. I search by specific terms. When my search term populates then I review the list and download as I see fit. Would I need the $30 option for this as well?
KnurledNut
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:29 pm

I guess I'm more of a basic search kind of person. I don't search groups. I search by specific terms. When my search term populates then I review the list and download as I see fit. Would I need the $30 option for this as well?

Yeah, you want search.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to Newbie Forum