a few questions on functionality

There is no such thing as a stupid question here as long as it pertains to using NewsBin. Newbies feel free to get help getting started or asking questions that may be obvious. Regular users are asked to be gentle. :-)

Moderators: Quade, dexter

a few questions on functionality

Postby wiggins09 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:03 pm

New user trying 6.0 b1019 x64
I have a few questions on how do I/is it possible to basis:
    - can I limit the number of headers to be downloaded? This is a new install, when loading groups I only want a few days worth but I am getting 00000000s going back months.

- can I actively search or filter a poster? I see filter fields for size & types but not for poster. I assume I can define a filter with a poster name, but can I search for a poster with a search field?

- can I selectively par/unrar? I don't always want to auto par or auto unrar, but I don't see a per download option.

- can I search & step to next occurrence in the d/l queue? I tried "par2" but could only get the first result.

There are a few other queries but I am still poking around... :)
Awesome FREE file manager - http://multicommander.com/
wiggins09
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/08/14

Re: a few questions on functionality

Postby Quade » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:03 pm

1 - "Download Age" determines how many headers it downloads for a new group/new install. "Storage Age" controls how long the headers are kept before they're purged out.

2 - A) You can "poster lockout" posters. B) You can create a watch list to generate a virtual group with only a specific posters posts. C) In local or internet search, you can search for a specific poster. If you "Lockout Posters" you have to turn the filters on in the post list. That's the first button in the second row.

If you download headers, using the watch list is the best way to collect posts from a specific poster.

3 - You can set specific groups to not unrar. You can't control specific downloads though.

4 - When you search in the download list, it highlights all the pars. It doesn't progress forward though. You could use the "move to top" to move them all to the top or use a more specific search string to find the one you want.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby wiggins09 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:57 am

Thanks for a quick response.
I have now updated to 6.50 b3126 (Not sure why it didn't go to that version immediately as setup ran a routine to d/l the installer files) & some of the questions have resolved themselves - such as the search which now does hi-lite everything nicely.

Not sure about days/age as I had entered 30 in the field for age (its' default was 900) yet was seeing things of 500+ days old & taking forever (obviously) to do the initial header grab.
Maybe the prog needed to be restarted after I changed the data age values...?

I have not yet studied the filter & watchlist aspect but will be doing so as it sounds as if this will resolve some of my other concerns.

Is there an option to start NBP paused or to add nzbs paused?

I would like to see the option to set individual fileset par/rar instruction. In some cases I would now have to recompress files for archiving. So if theres a user wishlist I shall add that to the pile.

As a bit of background -
I have been a long-time user of Ultraleecher. Last week I found it suddenly started refusing to connect saying no net connection. I find all the URLs for the site, forum & email have gone. & presuming license validation needs that server, have now lost the use of the prog. Sad really as it has all occurred without any warning or even a URL link page stating the company had folded etc. (If that is what has happened).
UL had a feature where on the group view you could filter a string or exclude/include a poster. This helped when the spammers change names & can thus overcome some of the blacklist limitations (becoming endlessly large or blocking posters that have used the default poster name & got filtered out with spam etc). Its' limit was that you couldn't filter more than one entry, ideally a comma or similar between several poster ids would have been my choice.

I tried Newsleecher but that lasted only a day before I was fed up with it (& a monthly sub isn't my idea of fun). NBP however is now on day 2 of its' trial & I am finding it to be very well featured/designed. I guess the last time I looked at it was 6+years ago. This current version is an entirely different setup & now ticks a lot of boxes on functionality I want but which are absent elsewhere.
wiggins09
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:39 pm

Not sure about days/age as I had entered 30 in the field for age (its' default was 900) yet was seeing things of 500+ days old & taking forever (obviously) to do the initial header grab.
Maybe the prog needed to be restarted after I changed the data age values...?

Well, this only applies the very first time you visit a group or if you reset the group. If you'd already started header downloading with it set to 900 days, it won't apply without reset (Right click Post Storage/Use Download Age).

I've gotten to where I don't look at some groups anymore because of the spammers. Instead I set up watches to collect the files or likely files into a watch list group. Since this works across all my header downloads, I collect files from every group I download headers from. It's not currently setup to collect from search but, that's coming. We had to make some search server changes so, this feature doesn't overwhelm the server. I'm thinking it'll be in 6.60. In that way you really never have to download headers if you don't want to.

If you haven't done so, I'd sign up for the trial key instead of running the regular trial period. Trial Key gives you full use of the search engine and extends the trial to 15 days.

You can currently make Newsbin save the RARS and PARS to the recycle bin. If you do that, you might just retrieve the deleted files from there. You can also tell Newsbin to both unrar and repair and not delete the RARS and PARS.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby wiggins09 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:57 pm

Thanks.
I will have to play around & see what feels best on the RAR side, I could just jump in & out of options to switch it on & off, queuing things appropriately.

I wanted to start looking at how to set up watchlists, I looked at the wiki but didn't see it.
Found a post with them mentioned -
https://forums.newsbin.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34841&hilit=Watch#p201696
& clicked the link, result -
You are not authorised to read this forum.
:shock: :(
wiggins09
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:04 pm

I asked Dex to look at it.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby dexter » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:10 pm

wiggins09 wrote:I wanted to start looking at how to set up watchlists, I looked at the wiki but didn't see it.
Found a post with them mentioned -
https://forums.newsbin.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34841&hilit=Watch#p201696
& clicked the link, result -
You are not authorised to read this forum.
:shock: :(

Give it another try. Your permissions didn't get updated when you provided your key to the Forum for some reason. It should be working for you now. Sorry about that.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby wiggins09 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:36 pm

Thanks that is working now.
I was curious as to the 'test' field, so thats one mystery solved. :wink:

Good to see that you can implement regexs I think that will be a big help to me.
Time to go play with this ... :D
wiggins09
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby wiggins09 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:55 am

One more question...
Can I search within results in the 'Search' tab?
I can use the search function to find a string, but then I'd like to search that resulting output for a substring.
I can't see any obvious way to do this.
The 'Filters' feature seems to be too many clicks/dialog ops for individual/one-off result sub-searching.
Or maybe I am missing something...?

I am trying various regex & wildcard functions & having this feature is very helpful & quickly becoming something I can't do without.

Beyond that & my desire for a per leech par/unrar feature I am enjoying the prog. Thanks for a well coded & versatile product! :D
wiggins09
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:05 am

Just type something new in the search string area.

As long as you don't hit enter or click the new search button, it'll search within the current search data.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby wiggins09 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:45 am

Thanks, I think I have been hitting <enter> instinctively :lol:
wiggins09
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby wiggins09 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:59 am

GUI Coloring
As I am becoming more familiar with NBP I am wondering if there is an explanation of the colors/icons used in the v6.x GUI. Can't see anything on the Wiki etc...
In particular I am wondering why headers show green in the group tab, then when viewed in the watchlist view all go grey?
I thought I was looking at age colouring but sometimes have grey/green/white colouring for headers of approx same age.

On icons - why the yellow star on green in the D/L list?
My watchlist icons changed from blue to green 'circles', no idea why.

Just trying to figure out whats going on, as there appears to be quite a lot of information available here if I knew how to read it. :wink:

I am wondering about the contents of -
C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\Newsbin\chunks\
Is there any reason fragments would be left over from previous days? In some cases I have had a post complete without issue but then seen a quantity of related fragments sat in here.
wiggins09
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:40 am

There's an icon legend in the help menu.

- Green background means "New". Posts can be new or old, downloaded and undownloaded. I have my newsbin set to remove "New" after I look at a post so, the first time I look at a watch list with new entries, I have some green entries then subsequent times, they're grey because I've seen them already.

- Yellow * means you told Newsbin to bypass filters during the download. This bypasses ALL filters including the encrypted file checks.

- Chunks are periodically purged. I keep some of them around for a time so I can avoid re-downloading the first chunks of files that might still be in the download list. There's a setting in newsbin for the size of the chunk cache. If the chunk cache is larger than the size of the file that's downloading, the chunks remain in memory and never get written to disk (unless you restart). The chunks folder is primarily used when you restart, to store the chunks currently in memory. It's also used if the downloading files have more chunks than the size of the cache. If you have a gob of ram, it might make sense to increase the chunk cache size to reduce writing to disk.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby wiggins09 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:58 am

DoooH! I got to the 'Help' entry & somehow never read the 'Icon legend' entry...! :roll:

I think I was on the same page with headers as green or gray but the white field mixed in has confused me. :)

Good to know that NBP is covering its' tail with chunks, that makes sense. I will give the RAM setting a look, will have to see what kind of impact it has when I'm using other RAM hungry progs at the same time.

Thanks Quade.
wiggins09
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby wiggins09 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:13 pm

I'm still wondering about NBP startup in a queue paused state - it's not currently possible is it?
cmd-line options?
Maybe something on your dev road map?

Sorry to be a whiner!!! :D
wiggins09
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:51 pm

I'm unlikely to implement it to be honest. It seems like a source of tech support hassle.

You can Ctrl-A and hit the pause button in the download list before you exit to pause them all. They'll remain paused on restart.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby wiggins09 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:11 am

OK thanks. I will have to see if I can change a few habits I guess :lol:
wiggins09
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor