How to read NFO/SFV files in Newsbin 6.54

There is no such thing as a stupid question here as long as it pertains to using NewsBin. Newbies feel free to get help getting started or asking questions that may be obvious. Regular users are asked to be gentle. :-)

Moderators: Quade, dexter

How to read NFO/SFV files in Newsbin 6.54

Postby Quade » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:35 am

Newsbin 6.54 has a new feature. Instead of clicking the + icon and reading the NFO files with Ctrl-R, if you select the main item and hit Ctrl-R. It'll look through the files and try to download all single part files which should include all this. It also downloads the first small PAR, parses it and shows the filenames for files in the PAR.

The purpose of this isn't just to look at NFO files but, to probe some of these obscure formats files to see if you can find out what's in them.

Talking to some users, it's clear they don't know about this feature. If you see the gray I icon on the file set. That means Newsbin has ID'd the set to contain information files you can read.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Re: How to read NFO/SFV files in Newsbin 6.54

Postby cosmo4u » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:51 am

Great update.
TBH I never knew this was available. I was an obsolete Ctrl R guy

Im finding with the new restraints put on data in usenet, uploads are being masked more and more.
Rars are being labeled as jpgs and video formats are being uploaded as unknown.

Im having to try multiple programs to open files these days.

Will this feature be able to see the "obscure content" and convert/offer ideas as to what program to use depending on what we have set as defaults on our machines.

i know that is a stretch but one can hope :D
“People ask me what I do in the winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring.”
—Rogers Hornsby
cosmo4u
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/16/07

Postby Quade » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:02 am

Will this feature be able to see the "obscure content" and convert/offer ideas as to what program to use depending on what we have set as defaults on our machines.

If the data is in there then yes. Some obscure formats are simply impossible without the NZB file. Newsbin can automatically rename most of the obscure formats as long as the PAR file notes the correct filename.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Joker3327 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:27 pm

Awesome... this has just answered one of my questions in the newbie thread... Ctrl +R FTW
Joker3327
n00b
n00b

Return to Newbie Forum