NZB question

There is no such thing as a stupid question here as long as it pertains to using NewsBin. Newbies feel free to get help getting started or asking questions that may be obvious. Regular users are asked to be gentle. :-)

Moderators: Quade, dexter

NZB question

Postby dane » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:49 am

Good morning

Recently I've found some nzbs that don't download. Looking at the log file, some say that the poster is blocked - well, that makes sense. Others, however, are less informative. For instance the log may show listings like:

[06:31:04] DEBUG NZB File Load Notification: C:\Users\test.nzb Disposition: 1

[06:31:04] DEBUG NZB File Load Notification Processing: C:\Users\test.nzb Disposition: 1

[06:31:04] DEBUG NZB File Feed Post Filtered: Subject: test.rar" yEnc

What's going on here? Is this just a bad nzb?

Thanks,
DaDane
dane
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/25/05

Re: NZB question

Postby Quade » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:09 am

It sounds like you have a filter assigned to the NZB Filter and that the contents of the NZB are being filtered out.

What version are you using?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby dane » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:12 am

Thanks for the reply. I'm using 6.72 build 4776. I checked the nzb options, and in the pull-down "none" is selected. When the log said "filtered" I assumed it meant the filter associated with the group from which the files would be downloaded - I didn't remember that there could also be a filter associated with nzbs.

But what about the log entries that said "disposition: 1" rather than "filtered"? What does this code mean?

DaDane
dane
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby dane » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:53 am

HI

Today's NZB question - from the logging queue:

"[09:40:31] DEBUG Connection Status: is.newsbin.com SSL Version: TLSv1.0 TLS-DHE-RSA-WITH-AES-256-CBC-SHA
DEBUG NZB File Feed Pre Filtered: Subject: [04/20]"

In options, on the NZB tab, the NZB Loading Filter is "None". Is the listing of the subject just to identify what file has not downloaded, or is it referring to a specific subject filter? In either event, how do I deal with 'File Feed Pre Filtered'?

Thanks in advance,
DaDane
dane
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby dexter » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:07 pm

Odd. With filtering turned off you shouldn't be getting that. Does it happen on all NZB's or just this one? If it's just this one, can you send us the file so we can try it out? You can attach it to an email to ts at newsbin dot com.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby dane » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:23 pm

Hi Dexter and thanks for the response. Not just this file - it happens from time to time. Because you said it shouldn't, I tried the nzb on another computer and it downloaded without issue; so there's nothing wrong with the nzb file.

I opened the global filter and added the subject and poster to be accepted - set the global filter as the filter for nzbs and the download still failed. What does: "DEBUG NZB File Feed Pre Filtered: Subject:" mean is happening? Is it possible to create a clean install beside my current install to see if the results will be the same?

DaDane
dane
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:37 pm

I opened the global filter and added the subject and poster to be accepted - set the global filter as the filter for nzbs and the download still failed. What does: "DEBUG NZB File Feed Pre Filtered: Subject:" mean is happening? Is it possible to create a clean install beside my current install to see if the results will be the same?

I'd suggest not doing this.

I suspect it's a bug caused by an odd subject. That's why we wanted the NZB to test against.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby dane » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:25 pm

No problem - it's on its way.

DaDane
dane
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby dexter » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:50 pm

I'm able to load it fine but the posting method is non-standard. They are not following the yenc naming convention. Without knowing your exact filter configuration I can't comment as to why it is getting filtered out for you. I found there are other posts available with this same content that you can download instead.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby dane » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:58 pm

Thanks for the response and the research. It isn't just this file, just this poster, or just this group. This is something which pops up occasionally. What's aggravating about it is that theoretically I don't have a filter configuration in this circumstance since the nzb filter is set to "None". Are there any other filters which bear on nzb downloads?

DaDane
dane
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby dane » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:17 pm

Hi - still finding this problem with nzb files from many different posters. I took your comment "Without knowing your exact filter configuration I can't comment as to why it is getting filtered out for you" seriously and backed up my filter.db3 file and one-by-one deleted the filters 'til only the global filter was left. This one said it couldn't be deleted. So I deleted the filters file all together, confirmed that there were no filters registered and tried again. Same message:
[13:10:46] DEBUG NZB File Feed Pre Filtered and a mention of disposition: 1.

We've already established that you can successfully d/l these nzb files; I can do so with a fresh install of newsbin (trial) on another machine; but it seems that many files fail in this way on my main install. Will deleting newsbin and installing a fresh copy cause me to lose all my settings, etc. If so, are there files other than filters.db3 and the .nbi file that I need to backup?

Thanks,
DaDane
dane
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby dexter » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:07 pm

Go under Options -> Settings -> NZB Options and set "NZB Loading Filter" to None.

Renaming filters.db3 out of the way should fix this too. You have to make sure Newsbin is closed when you do this.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Quade » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:08 pm

Are you running the latest RC version?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby dane » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:45 pm

Thanks guys for replying. Using 6.73RC1. Set nzb filter to none; deleted filters.db3; neither helped. I sent you one of the nzbs that you could download and I can download them on other machines. There's something with my installation, I think. Don't know what else to do. I'm thinking uninstall and re-install. What would I lose: my groups? my watch lists? I don't store any headers more than a day or so. Can I save my filters.db3 and nbi file?

Thanks,
DaDane
dane
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:22 pm

I'll try deleting my filters.db3 and see if I can reproduce it.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby dane » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:45 am

Thanks.
dane
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby dane » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:13 am

Hi guys

I apologize for not thinking of this sooner. Quade's post "filtering out header downloads" caused me to think about posts which were being filtered out even after I'd deleted my filter file. So I deleted my posterlockout file, and lo and behold, was able to download an nzb file that previously had failed as described below. I assume this will work with other nzbs also, but it raises a few questions:

1) when a file crashes like this, the log file doesn't name the poster so that it can be unlocked (temporarily or permanently).
2) I can find the poster by editing the nzb file, but can't use the "unlock poster" feature 'cause there's no listing in my headers. Is there any alternative to editing the posterlockout file directly?
3) are the listings in the posterlockout file regular expressions 'cause when I searched for ita.tv what I found was "ita\.tv \<news@ita\.tv\>"

Thanks in advance for clearing some of this up for me, and again, sorry for not thinking of the posterlockout file sooner.

Happy Holidays,
DaDane
dane
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby dexter » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:10 am

1) Good point, that might be nice to have
2) The posterlockout.txt file is a flat text file. You can edit it with notepad when Newsbin is closed. Or you can go under Options -> Settings -> Poster Settings and you can delete individual posters there by highlighting them and hitting the delete key
3) Poster lockouts are regular expressions
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby dane » Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:09 pm

Thanks Dexter. What are you doing in here today - don't you know it Christmas Eve?

Enjoy the holidays,
DaDane
dane
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Return to Newbie Forum