custom folder instalations

There is no such thing as a stupid question here as long as it pertains to using NewsBin. Newbies feel free to get help getting started or asking questions that may be obvious. Regular users are asked to be gentle. :-)

Moderators: Quade, dexter

custom folder instalations

Postby sjafri » Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:46 pm

Hello,
I believe in old version of newsbin I can install it to other folder, it didn't have to use the program files folder but in new version I can not find those options, is it possible to install the new version newsbin to other folder.
for your information I am using 64 bit windows server 2012 R2

thank you in advance for any reply, help and suggestion.
sjafri
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/18/11

Re: custom folder instalations

Postby Quade » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:33 pm

You can just copy the install folder to some other folder too. You just have to re-hook the shortcuts to point to it.

I think if you upgrade you have to use the same folder but a fresh install can be installed anywhere.

There's a good reason installed programs go into "Program Files". it's because "Program Files" is "read-only" to a normal non-admin user. Meaning if you run something viral by accident as a normal user, the virus can't infect the EXE's in "Program Files". If you install to other read-write folders, a virus can easily spread to other EXE's.

Where you install is completely up to you. I just wanted to point out why a folder like "Program Files" exists.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to Newbie Forum