Why do text posts only open as files in Word Pad?

There is no such thing as a stupid question here as long as it pertains to using NewsBin. Newbies feel free to get help getting started or asking questions that may be obvious. Regular users are asked to be gentle. :-)

Moderators: Quade, dexter

Why do text posts only open as files in Word Pad?

Postby jimsocal » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:10 am

I've used several other news readers and never seen this. Not sure what is going on with it.
I click on a header which is a text post (no files, just a post such as a question or answer to a question).
It goes to an area as a Downloaded File, then to read it I click on it and it opens up in WordPad.
I don't want to go through all that obviously, I just want to double click the post and read it in a window of newsbin.
Why wouldn't this just happen automatically?
But since it doesn't, how do I make it happen? (To read the post automatically by clicking it once? or twice and have it open within a window in Newsbin like it does in other newsreaders I've used.)
Thanks.
Just fyi I did search for this answer and poked around all over the program for the answer but didn't find it.
jimsocal
n00b
n00b

Re: Why do text posts only open as files in Word Pad?

Postby Quade » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:48 am

It doesn't work that way and never did. It's essentially a binary downloader.

The Ctrl-R function (Read Post) is used to read text posts and to probe sets of files with obscured filenames
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby jimsocal » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:41 am

Thanks for the reply.Control-R is easier.
But still, when I Control-R a post, it opens up the post in Word Pad.
I then have to scroll down to the part where the post is, then close the text after I read it.

Also if the message is empty I get an error message window I also have to close in addition to closing the window of the WordPad. A lot of work for a 3 second read of a post.
Is there no way to make it open inside a window of the Newsbin program?

I like the way Newsbin works for mp3 downloads but for posts, if this is the only way it works, then it's too klunky.
jimsocal
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:27 am

What version are you using? Unless the posts are missing from the server, it should always show something.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby jimsocal » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:28 am

Newsbin Pro 64 6.72: 00 A8 2B 03 C0 06 .
I click on a 1.2kb post , for example, and now it does nothing. It goes into the Download list but doesn't download and I cannot read it.
Am I right that this should ideally open in a window within the program?

Meanwhile I have mp3 files that are downloading fine.
I must be doing something wrong but I have no idea what it could be. Seems you should just click or double click on the post and it should show you what it says.
jimsocal
n00b
n00b

Postby itimpi » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:19 pm

Newsbin is targeted at binary files - not text files. If you want to read a file from a post list you have to use the special 'read' option.

I cannot remember when I last wanted to read a text file in Newsbin! Iis not something the average user wants with any frequency.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby jimsocal » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:53 pm

itimpi wrote:Newsbin is targeted at binary files - not text files. If you want to read a file from a post list you have to use the special 'read' option.

I cannot remember when I last wanted to read a text file in Newsbin! Iis not something the average user wants with any frequency.

Yes, I can right click and choose Read Post Body (why not just double click?). And when I do that, it opens up the post in WordPad which I then have to scroll down, read, close and then so the same with the next: open wordpad, scroll, read, close...

So are you guys saying that this is how it's supposed to work? NewsBin does NOT open up a text post in a window within the program? There is no way to make it do that? I have to go through the open wordpad, scroll, read close procedure every time?

If so, that's a shame because otherwise I like the way Newsbin works. I've used several other usenet programs and they all open up a post within a window, very easily and eloquently; i.e.; user friendly.

Granted, newsbin is for binary files or mp3's, mp4's etc and that's what I mostly use it for.
But sometimes I want to read the posts (texts) sent by uploaders/downloaders and if doing this is so klunky then I'll just have to seek out another program.

Thanks for the feedback and info!
jimsocal
n00b
n00b

Postby dexter » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:56 pm

Yes, this is how it is supposed to work for text files. It will launch whatever program you have associated with .txt files. If you don't like wordpad you can have it launch Notepad instead by modifying the Windows file association.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby PCZ » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:41 pm

itimpi wrote:Newsbin is targeted at binary files - not text files. If you want to read a file from a post list you have to use the special 'read' option.

That is absolutely not true.
Only a pure leech would not want to read text posts.

NBs handling of text posts is awful.
PCZ
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 09/28/05

Postby ItsMe » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:16 am

If you don't like text files opening up in word just associate .txt files to open with a different program, personally I just have them associated with notepad...
ItsMe
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/29/05

Postby jimsocal » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:17 am

ItsMe wrote:If you don't like text files opening up in word just associate .txt files to open with a different program, personally I just have them associated with notepad...

What I wanted was for them to open up right IN the program, not in another program (Wordpad, Word, Notepad etc). That's how Agent Forte used to do it and it only makes sense to do it that way.

Too bad because otherwise NB works fine but without the ability to more quickly and easily read POSTS - like comments when they are given or REQ's - then I will seek out a program that opens them within a window in the program. I don't want to have to open a new window (Wordpad) then scroll down past all the header shit, then read it, then CLOSE it. Just too much b.s. to read what is often a one or two line comment or request.

Fix this, then NB will be great!
jimsocal
n00b
n00b

Postby JayPea » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:33 am

jimsocal wrote:
ItsMe wrote:That's how Agent Forte used to do it and it only makes sense to do it that way.

Thanks for deciding for everyone else! I also think your talking utter shite.

I prefer the way NB handles it now as I can pick an editor that has the functions that work the way I prefer and NB just hands the text over to my chosen application. I categorically do not want the application to change in the way you're suggesting above.

As you said, best you go look elsewhere.
JayPea
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/11/06

Postby jimsocal » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:02 am

Thanks for the encouragement, LOL.
Why wouldn't someone who reads posts want it to open up IN the program or at least have that as an OPTION?
It's simply EASIER and QUICKER. If you'd ever used Agent Forte you'd know what I mean. Not saying it's the best program but it is much better for reading posts. About 5 times faster and no "other" window to close, nothing to close, you just move to the next post.

But alas, Newsbin has other little bugs I don't like as well.
jimsocal
n00b
n00b

Return to Newbie Forum