Automatic header download only for some groups possible?

There is no such thing as a stupid question here as long as it pertains to using NewsBin. Newbies feel free to get help getting started or asking questions that may be obvious. Regular users are asked to be gentle. :-)

Moderators: Quade, dexter

Automatic header download only for some groups possible?

Postby Calahan » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:44 pm

Hello,

I want to activate the group property "Automatic download. Add all new posts to the download list." for one (maybe some) group(s).
But it seems, I also have to activate "Automatic Update Modes" (Settings->Switches).
The problem is, I only want automatic header download for those with "Automatic download" activated groups and not for all groups.
There are some groups which I only want to update manually because of the massive header count.
What can I do besides setting up another nbi file?

All the best,
Calahan
Calahan
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/14/12

Re: Automatic header download only for some groups possible?

Postby Quade » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:01 am

1 - Groups that are checked are the ones that get updated when automatic header downloads are done.

2 - You have per group and per topic control of automatic downloading.

3 - You can also create a watch list that monitors header downloads and stores and/or downloads matching files.

So I think it's very doable.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Calahan » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:04 pm

Hello Quade,
thank you for your answer.

To 1)
First the name "group" seems to have a double meaning.
When I talked about groups I meant usename groups ("alt.binaries.test" for example) and not grouped usename groups. It seems they are named folder.

You wrote "Groups that are checked". There was no option to check or uncheck a group or a folder.
So I tried enable and disable group. I never tried that before, because I thought a disabled group is useless.

It seems when I use "disable groups" on a folder, all usenet groups in that folder are unchecked.
So I now disabled all groups (and all groups in folders) and enabled the group feature "Automatic download. Add all new posts to the download list."
(Well I just saw that there can't be a usenet group without being in a folder. They are in a folder too, named "unsorted".)

After doing some testing, it seems that the disabled groups are still useable. (Never would have thought this.)

To 2)
With "per group and per topic" do you meant "per group (name) and folder"?

To 3)
I tried to create a watch list, but I have problems with "Filter profile" when I click on the drop down box my folders are shown.
I think I will leave it empty as I don't know how to create and edit filters at the moment. I have to do some research on that. :)

The same happens when I click on "Look in Groups". So with "Look in Groups" it seems you mean "Look in Folders"?
Because they are shown in that drop down box too. I tried to enter a group name in the text box but it didn't work.

So if I want to use a watch list with only one usenet group, do I have to create a folder and move that group to that folder?
I think I then could choose that folder in "Look in Groups".
But I think I then can't use that group in another watch list, with another folder.
It seems one group (name) can only be member of one folder. Is that correct?

All the best,
Calahan
Calahan
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/14/12

Postby Quade » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:18 pm

1 - Groups or parents of groups pretty much work the same way. You can change an option for a parent and it'll apply to all the children in the group of groups.

2 - If you look at the groups list tab, each group and group of groups has a checkbox on the left hand side. If you disable a group, it won't download headers unless you manually select the group and download the headers.

You asked to make the group download selective when automatically downloading headers so that's how you do it. I on the other download latest headers for all groups every 30 minutes but only some groups are set to download files automatically. I recommend that over trying to check and uncheck the groups.

3 - A "Topic" is a parent of groups. You can name them anything you want but in my case, I sort my groups based on the topic So I call it a topic or groups of groups interchangeably.

So if I want to use a watch list with only one usenet group, do I have to create a folder and move that group to that folder?

Sure.

Some of my watch lists work across all my groups. Collecting results across all groups and some of the collect results over a "Topic" of groups.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to Newbie Forum