altbinaries.com + newsbin pro problem...

There is no such thing as a stupid question here as long as it pertains to using NewsBin. Newbies feel free to get help getting started or asking questions that may be obvious. Regular users are asked to be gentle. :-)

Moderators: Quade, dexter

altbinaries.com + newsbin pro problem...

Postby SnakeByte » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:25 am

I recently saw the old MOTD about signing up with altbinaries.com to gain unrestricted access to use the usenet search ability with newsbin pro.

I signed up with altbinaries.com and received a username and password for their service.

I then clicked on that link mentioned in the MOTD (https://www.newsbin.com/altbinaries-newsbin-link.php) where I am supposed to enter in my newsbin registration key. I entered in the registration key, and it redirected to altbinaries.com site (where I'm already logged in), but I don't see any options here? It's a very bare bone page -- a bar at the top with the total number of newsgroups, a fixed filter (I don't see any options for changing or removing the filter), apparently automatically set to "erotica", a search box, and four buttons under Control Panel.

I've added the alt.binaries server to newsbin pro, and that's working, however, when I attempt to search, I'm given the standard "Newsbin Usenet Search Disabled" popup window that states "The ability to queue files for download based on these search results is only available to subscribers of our Internet Search Service. If you are seeing this message then there is no active subscription associated with the key used to register Newsbin."

Am I confused about what an account with altbinaries.com is supposed to unlock in newsbin pro? Does having an existing registration key somehow screw this linking process? Has altbinaries.com changed their site recently and broken the linking process?
SnakeByte
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/30/11

Re: altbinaries.com + newsbin pro problem...

Postby dexter » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:39 am

Hmm. Do you have javascript disabled in your browser or something? Did you try a different browser?

If you send me your alt.binaries username and your Newsbin Key, I will link you here. I'll contact them and see if anything is up with their linking mechanism.

Contact me through our support form.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Re: altbinaries.com + newsbin pro problem...

Postby SnakeByte » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:31 pm

I was using Google Chrome. It looks like the Privacy Badger plugin was being overzealous and blocked some of the sources for the site. That took care of the strange things like that erotica filter thing, however, there was still no feedback about any linking taking place.

I tried Internet Explorer too (no plugins there), and got the same lack of any type of link feedback. I'll use the support link you provided here. Thanks!
SnakeByte
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/30/11

Return to Newbie Forum