False positive spam filtering...

There is no such thing as a stupid question here as long as it pertains to using NewsBin. Newbies feel free to get help getting started or asking questions that may be obvious. Regular users are asked to be gentle. :-)

Moderators: Quade, dexter

False positive spam filtering...

Postby SnakeByte » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:25 pm

I've ran into a situation where Newsbin refuses to download something, even when right clicking and choosing "Download - Bypass Filters"

When I disable spam filtering completely under settings and download the file, it works perfectly fine.

Is there some way to get more details about how newsbin determined that the download is bad? The Logging tab just shows a bunch of the normal 430 errors (Is there a way to filter these out?? It makes it very difficult to find errors that actually matter). Under the Failed Files tab, it just says "Download failed, File is spam or not really a file"
SnakeByte
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/30/11

Re: False positive spam filtering...

Postby dexter » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:30 pm

If you send us an NZB or tell us the group and subject of the file, we can try it ourselves and see what's up. Don't post it here, use our contact form.

If bypass filters doesn't also bypass the spam filter settings it could be a bug. Are you running the latest version of Newsbin?

Also, 430 errors are important, they are messages from the server saying it doesn't have the post. If you have several servers and one server is throwing 430's all the time you might want to disable it if you don't want to see so many errors.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby SnakeByte » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:52 pm

dexter wrote:Also, 430 errors are important, they are messages from the server saying it doesn't have the post. If you have several servers and one server is throwing 430's all the time you might want to disable it if you don't want to see so many errors.

Dexter,

As I've found, some servers are better at completion than others when it comes to posts. Subscribing to multiple servers increases the chances of a successful transfer.

For instance, altbinaries.com seems to be terrible with completion -- at least for the things I've recently been searching for. However, using it as a secondary for competing transfers is still worthwhile. It would be nice to be able to filter out those 430 errors for these secondary servers where I expect to get them from.
SnakeByte
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/30/11

Postby dexter » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:09 pm

Currently there is no way to filter them out of the Logging tab. You can disable the pop up messages but it sounds like you already figured that out.

I see your point and we'll consider letting people with multiple servers filter out the 430 errors.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to Newbie Forum