Stop downloadd

There is no such thing as a stupid question here as long as it pertains to using NewsBin. Newbies feel free to get help getting started or asking questions that may be obvious. Regular users are asked to be gentle. :-)

Moderators: Quade, dexter

Stop downloadd

Postby Eaton » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:44 am

I see how I can pause the downloads I requested, but how do I just cancel all downloads immediatly so the process stops. I can't find a command for this. Thank you to anyone with a solution.
Eaton
n00b
n00b

Re: Stop downloadd

Postby Quade » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:47 am

I see how I can pause the downloads I requested, but how do I just cancel all downloads immediatly so the process stops. I can't find a command for this. Thank you to anyone with a solution.

There's a pause button at the top that pauses all downloads. You can also select files in the download list and pause them individually using the right click menu or toolbar.

The only way to cancel a download is to remove it from the download list.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Eaton » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:08 pm

Thank you for the answer. The thing is that even after I delete a downloading file I keep getting critical error messages like no such article.

Also I assume you mean to cancel the files in the lower part of split screen. I can't seem to access all those files with the down arrow. I often have to wait till it gets done on its own.
Eaton
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:39 pm

Also I assume you mean to cancel the files in the lower part of split screen. I can't seem to access all those files with the down arrow. I often have to wait till it gets done on its own.

1 - Download is distinct from unraring and assembling files. If your connection is fast enough, your download can actually get ahead of assembling and unraring.

2 - It might be easier to pause, then try to delete from the download list. Pause only works on the download though, not on assembly and unrar so, you might need to pause and wait a bit for it to finish processing the already downloaded files before the download list settles.

3 - In the performance options, you can tell it to pause downloads during unrar. This can prevent the download from getting ahead of the file processing.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Eaton » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:02 pm

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is unraring?
Eaton
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:27 pm

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is unraring?

Most large files are posted in containers that can contain multiple files. The extension for these files is ".rar". If you're downloading files larger than probably 100 megs, these files are probably encased in RAR files. When these files are downloaded, Newsbin will typically break them out of the container automatically. This process is called "UnRARing".
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Eaton » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:18 pm

I know the files I am downloading are in the lower panel but when I try to arrow down I can't reach the lower downloads. Do I have to delete the upper files first? I hope my qurstion makes sense.
Eaton
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:36 pm

1 - What happens if you pause Newsbin first?

2 - What happens of you click your mouse on the lower window and try the mouse wheel?

3 - If you can't actually see the listing, try grabbing the bar across the page with the mouse and moving the bar up.

4 - How about trying the scroll bars on the right hand side?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Eaton » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:15 pm

Eternal you are a genius. Using pause allowed me to acess all the downloading files and stop the process. Thank you for your prompt help!
Eaton
n00b
n00b

Return to Newbie Forum