Fresh install creates new user file

There is no such thing as a stupid question here as long as it pertains to using NewsBin. Newbies feel free to get help getting started or asking questions that may be obvious. Regular users are asked to be gentle. :-)

Moderators: Quade, dexter

Fresh install creates new user file

Postby Zen_Rebel » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:49 am

Hi,
I've made a fresh install of nb after copying the files indicated in the backing nb settings web page. Before launching nb for the first time i re-install the copied files and when i double click on the .nbi i get a new install configuration instead of the saved one plus nb creates a new user file with a new nb folder in it.

In other words I installed nb twice because the first install created this new user file so i re-installed it, manually indicating the path to my normal user file where most of my programs are in. For example: C:\Users\ZenRebel\AppData\Local\Newsbin and erased the second user file created by nb. I can't get nb to find my old spool file and settings that i copied over to the new installation folder mentioned above . What am i doing wrong?

Thanks
Zen_Rebel
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/01/09

Re: Fresh install creates new user file

Postby Quade » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:13 am

Moving an NBI forward Windows versions might cause you issues unless you hand edit the NBI to match the windows install. Seems like you have more than one issue.

1 - Folders declared in the NBI aren't right for your windows install.

2 - You're running Newsbin as Administrator so it can write to any folder that's declared in the NBI file.

You might want to either re-install from scratch and then past in the old groups and servers into the new NBI or manually edit the NBI to match your PC. Another options it to make the data folder live in some easy to get to path like C:\Data\ or something like that. Then just make sure it's always there.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Re: Fresh install creates new user file

Postby dexter » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:00 pm

Could also follow the procedure listed here: http://help.newsbin.com/index.php/V660- ... r_computer
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to Newbie Forum