Thanks for fighting the fight.

There is no such thing as a stupid question here as long as it pertains to using NewsBin. Newbies feel free to get help getting started or asking questions that may be obvious. Regular users are asked to be gentle. :-)

Moderators: Quade, dexter

Thanks for fighting the fight.

Postby Quah » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:34 pm

Today I got the pop-up about the spammer that was causing Newsbin and Usenet problems. You came up with a workaround quickly, which I suspect is the only newsreader that has addressed it, so kudos. But with every game, the foe is one upping, so the workaround only last for a while.

It appears that this spammer is trying to bring selective groups down.
Whatever you can do is appreciated.

I decided against posting this "thank you" to the technical thread on the subject to avoid adding noise there. For now I'm following the suggestions on the thread and if they fail, disabling the group infected.

Thanks again for fighting the fight.
Quah
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/10/09

Re: Thanks for fighting the fight.

Postby Quah » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:26 pm

*** Correction ***
The workaround does work, if you do it correctly. I made some errors in the implementation.
The reason I'm calling it a workaround is because I assume it will only work as long as the poster doesn't change his name.
Quah
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/10/09

Re: Thanks for fighting the fight.

Postby Quade » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:38 pm

Code: Select all
The reason I'm calling it a workaround is because I assume it will only work as long as the poster doesn't change his name.

Locking out poster will always end up being unworkable over the long haul. Each one you add slows down processing. That's why you're better off filtering to only show the poster/subject you like. For example some groups the good posts are marked

[FULL]

You could add a "subject accept" and only accept posts with "[FULL]" listed in them.

"\[FULL\]"

Is how you'd enter it (no quotes).

The downside of filtering IN is that there might be stuff you want that doesn't use that pattern. You could actually use our search engine to see the group contents to see if you're missing anything.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to Newbie Forum