Spool_v6 folder size

There is no such thing as a stupid question here as long as it pertains to using NewsBin. Newbies feel free to get help getting started or asking questions that may be obvious. Regular users are asked to be gentle. :-)

Moderators: Quade, dexter

Spool_v6 folder size

Postby tongueboy » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:10 am

Is it normal for this folder to be 19 gigs?
Most of the size is from moovee and teevee.
I have changed my retention several times and right now I have it at 15 days.
I have 3 or 4 other groups and as many watch lists but the bulk of the size is from those two groups.
Not really an issue as I have space, more a curiosity thing.
6.73B4 build 4817
Thanks in advance.
tongueboy
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/27/12

Re: Spool_v6 folder size

Postby dexter » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:19 am

teevee and moovee are getting spammed pretty bad so they are growing larger than normal. There is a discussion in another thread about how to filter these posts out before they hit the database. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=41268
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby tongueboy » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:10 am

Yeah, I have been following them and it doesn't seem to be working for me.
Wouldn't it make more sense for two guys who made the program to make a hotfix for a known spammer rather than you asking thousands of users to learn code?
Is there a reason why when I lock out a poster his headers still keep downloading?
Maybe change "lockout" to "Let's close our eyes and hope it goes away"?
I had no idea it was an issue because I lock out posters and never see them again because I turn on filters.
Turns out they are not locked out at all, I just can't see them.
I know you guys are slammed right now and I am sorry for that but it really seems like it would be easier for a couple guys to make a hotfix rather than expecting a bunch of idiots to try to understand what you are trying to say.
I am sure it seems very simple to you but it really isn't for the rest of us.
We use programs, we don't make them.
If we did you might be paying us.
I think you guys are the greatest and I love newsbin but man, Help us out here.
You have the best support but you can't expect average joes to understand the "fixes" you are posting in the forums.
I am guessing this has already been made clear by the sheer number of posts.
I love you guys and love newsbin.
I am sure you are getting some hate but I know you are trying to help.
I have confidence that a fix will come.
If not, a much better tutorial with step by step and screenshots in one place that we idiots don't have to search for would be nice.
The one in the MOTD was too vague for most users.
I thank you for all your hard work and I am sorry that the current situation demands more.
tongueboy
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby dexter » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:25 pm

I wrote up a more concise tutorial here: http://help.newsbin.com/index.php/V660- ... r_Database

Quade is working on a more elegant solution that can be applied more easily. It isn't going to happen overnight.

To answer your question about the poster lockout, it was designed to just filter the display, not to eliminate them from the header database. Reason being, if you make a mistake with your filter you could wipe out your header database. It's also the reason the pre-database insertion filter is so hard to use, because we wanted it to be a very deliberate thing people would apply instead of fielding thousands of support issues from people not understanding why some headers aren't showing up. It's all a tradeoff between how much you hand-hold and how much you let the end user get themselves in trouble.

The alternative to messing with headers at all is to just use our built in search function. We are actively filtering the current spam from there and targeted searches would bypass that spam anyways. Yes, we charge for that service but is it worth $2.50/mo to avoid the aggravation of dealing with this header issue?

https://www.newsbin.com/isearch.php

We appreciate your understanding about this situation and recognizing that there are just two guys here.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby tongueboy » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:31 pm

Thank you for the link.
I do understand what you are saying but an included option to add to "lockout poster" and "delete all posts from poster" might be to "Nuke" poster, which would remove all instances of the poster and prevent them from being downloaded again.
This would also make it easier when they change names.
No idea how difficult that would be or if it would cause more problems than it would solve.
I currently have moovee and teevee disabled.
Is it safe to remove them from the spool folder?
Thanks again for all your hard work and your fast responses.
tongueboy
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby dexter » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:44 pm

tongueboy wrote:...an included option to add to "lockout poster" and "delete all posts from poster" might be to "Nuke" poster, which would remove all instances of the poster and prevent them from being downloaded again.
This would also make it easier when they change names.

I like this idea, I'll talk to Quade about it.

tongueboy wrote:I currently have moovee and teevee disabled.
Is it safe to remove them from the spool folder?.

Safe? Sure, it just means you won't be able to load headers for the moovee or teevee groups. You can also clear them out by right-clicking the group, select Post Storage, then Delete Stored Posts. Once you have a download filter in place, you can re-download headers and have a cleaner header database for these groups.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby tongueboy » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:45 pm

Thanks for the response.
I hadn't read through the link you posted before I replied and realized when I got to the bottom of it that you had already answered my question.
Thanks for the more detailed tutorial.
Seems I'm back up and running right again.
You guys are the best ;o)
tongueboy
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Return to Newbie Forum