Low Disk Space

There is no such thing as a stupid question here as long as it pertains to using NewsBin. Newbies feel free to get help getting started or asking questions that may be obvious. Regular users are asked to be gentle. :-)

Moderators: Quade, dexter

Low Disk Space

Postby olc » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:53 pm

The partition with download folder has 273GB free, Why do I get this message?

I was having a problem with Newsbin that I couldn't seem to fix so I uninstalled & reinstalled. I did choose an download folder other than the default, as I did previously
olc
Active Participant
Active Participant

Re: Low Disk Space

Postby Quade » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:24 am

If it's intermittent, then this is a problem in some versions of windows. That's why in newish versions of Newsbin the popup checks and then closed automatically once free space is found.

If it's solidly on, I'd check the download path. I think it sounds like a configuration problem.

Keep in mind that the data folder and the download folder are both checked.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby KingFish » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:35 pm

My 2 cents:

I don't know if this relevant to the problem, and I apologize if it isn't, but there were several recent versions of the Windows 10 Individual Preview which incorrectly displayed the remaining amount of available storage. That problem was identified in the first build that introduced the problem, but then continued without further mention for a couple/few more builds. The problem disappeared, without any mention by Microsoft, with the installation of the current Build 15042, and is not a problem with the current build 15048.

I am assuming that you have already tried running the chkdsk /x /f command from a Command Prompt for your hard drives as part of your attempts to resolve this problem.

You might also consider the information at https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 369f1278c5
MS Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit - ASUS P8Z77-V LE; Intel i7-3770K 3.5 GHz; 16.0GB DDR3; 512MB EVGA GeForce GTX 760; SAMSUNG 850 500GB SATA III SSD; 2 X HGST 3TB 7200RPM 6.0Gb/s SATA III.
KingFish
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/17/03

Postby insolution » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:13 pm

As an aside, if you do run out of space on your download drive, Newsbin happily chugs along and creates download files with a zero byte size and then deletes them from the download list. So if you don't catch the error and clear your list you can't get back and have to reload/filter/download the files all over again. Not a big deal for a few files, but when it's hundreds (like books, etc) it's a hassle.

I sure wish Newsbin would simply pause/error out when it detects (if it does, or maybe it should?) that the drive is full.

Maybe that's a Windows or NTFS issue, but it's happened a couple of times to me when i have been lazy about cleaning up old downloaded files and have run out of space.

--Scott
insolution
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 09/01/02

Postby Quade » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:24 pm

I sure wish Newsbin would simply pause/error out when it detects (if it does, or maybe it should?) that the drive is full.

What version are you using? Mine pauses. In fact when the popup is up, it's paused.

I suppose it could be an issue if your download gets way ahead of your assembly. So the files finished downloading but haven't been turned into files yet.

My advice is to avoid running out of disk space.

Code: Select all
[FILENAME]
MinFreeSpace=X   

X is in megs, the default is 200 megs.

You could add this to the NBI and make it 2000 and see if that's enough buffer for you. 2000 = 2 Gigs. This is what sets the threshold for disk free space checking and popping up the pause message.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to Newbie Forum