Newsbin 6.72 freezes

There is no such thing as a stupid question here as long as it pertains to using NewsBin. Newbies feel free to get help getting started or asking questions that may be obvious. Regular users are asked to be gentle. :-)

Moderators: Quade, dexter

Newsbin 6.72 freezes

Postby arcadeguy » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:52 pm

HI,
I have a very annoying problem. I have a new build with win7 on it with a secondary drive for my data and i have no problems with it till newsbin is running. I would like to know if anyone else has had this issue, I did searcg the forums and read bits of others problems but found no conclusive answer.
My problem is my computer runs without any freezing till newsbin is running and when i an trying to display headers, set to only 3 days for download, display and store i get hour glasses and computer lag.
here is my comp:
Mainboard Model M5A97 LE R2.0
Microsoft Windows 7 (6.1) Professional 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)
AMD FX(tm)-6300 Six-Core Processor
PC3-10700 (667 MHz) 4 gig
WDC WD32 00AAKX-083CA1
WDC WD50 00AACS-07G8B0
-----------------------------------------
My only thought is that it might be the WD drives are not compatible with each other for what i am doing, thanks!
arcadeguy
n00b
n00b

Re: Newsbin 6.72 freezes

Postby arcadeguy » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:52 pm

hello everyone,
i am posting a reply to this topic because I found two things withing my system that caused this and in the future I hope it helps others.

PROBLEM 1: ASUS EAH5450 Series display adapter.
a. i used the DVi with my big bold monitor and found my computer just couldn't keep up. Every time i turned on the monitor it lagged me to death. it was so annoying that i usually rebooted instead. Switched it to HDMI and perfect !!!!!!
PROBLEM 2: AMD SATA Controller Driver for Windows 7 (32-bit, 64-bit)
a. I moved my data folder to my secondary drive so the C drive wouldn't be the burden of all the writes. The drivers that were installed caused me great aggravation between the two drives. So after much reading I switched to the Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA controller drivers instead of the AMD SATA drivers.

No more problems, no lag, runs great. I know no one responded but This problem was very unique. good luck god bless.
arcadeguy
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:58 pm

That's good.

PROBLEM 2: AMD SATA Controller Driver for Windows 7 (32-bit, 64-bit)
a. I moved my data folder to my secondary drive so the C drive wouldn't be the burden of all the writes. The drivers that were installed caused me great aggravation between the two drives. So after much reading I switched to the Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA controller drivers instead of the AMD SATA drivers.

You know when Dex and I start doing tech support one of the first thing we do is check whether it's AMD or not. AMD based machines have weird problems. I don't know about the latest CPU's but it's something Dex and I watch for. I understand people like AMD for the bang-for-the-buck.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby arcadeguy » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:35 pm

I agree whole heartily on the ATA drivers but I did see a significant improvement after switching the DVi out. The freezing stopped and I was doing the restore on the previous drivers just as a precaution.

thanks again.
arcadeguy
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:29 pm

I agree whole heartily on the ATA drivers but I did see a significant improvement after switching the DVi out. The freezing stopped and I was doing the restore on the previous drivers just as a precaution.

My point is if you were using an Intel motherboard and CPU, none of this would have probably been required.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to Newbie Forum