Thrashing seems beyond a nuisance

There is no such thing as a stupid question here as long as it pertains to using NewsBin. Newbies feel free to get help getting started or asking questions that may be obvious. Regular users are asked to be gentle. :-)

Moderators: Quade, dexter

Thrashing seems beyond a nuisance

Postby UPdown » Sun May 07, 2017 5:17 am

Like many, I have experienced an ongoing issue with disk thrashing while NewsBin should have been idle. I assume from what I've read that it's doing something with indexing. As such, I have grown somewhat inured to the noise. I truly value NewsBin, even though I don't use but a fraction of the power of the product. So, I put up with the thrashing.

Now, I'm wondering if a couple of disparate problems I have are related to the heavy disk usage NewsBin is subjecting my system to. I got an electrical bill this past month that is TWICE what I normally get, month to month or year over year. There is NO confirmed cause for this rather unpleasant turn of bills. But I've been guilty of some negligence in shutting NB down of late. (some health issues). It seems to be the ONLY change in anything within my house. An extremely tenuous link.

The second one is less so. According to Hard Disk Sentinel, the health of the drive housing NewsBin data files and program has dropped three percent in the last two months. Still, a little lacking in causality. But things are starting to add up to an unpleasant conclusion.

I do NOT want to find an alternative. I use the program daily. Sometimes a couple of times a day. I use it almost completely via search in the main tab. I used to want to keep ALL the headers for years backward. However, except for one group of newsgroups, there no longer is a need for keeping that kind of header hoarding. And even with that group, I should cut back to 200 days, maybe even 90 days.

WILL deleting the other groups and setting the age limit on the one group to 90 days reduce (or even better, eliminate) the thrashing? If it won't then, sadly, I will have to cast about for an alternative, replete with learning curve and who knows how well it does a job that NewsBin does to 98 percent of my satisfaction.

One way or another, the thrashing has to go, so that I can eliminate that as having been part of my electrical issue and the deteriorating health of an expensive disk drive.

Appreciate the tough spot I've put you in. I hope there is an answer that will have me head-palming. I WANT to be what I have been for much of the last decade. A HAPPY NewsBin user.
UPdown
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/27/12

Re: Thrashing seems beyond a nuisance

Postby Quade » Sun May 07, 2017 9:57 am

The first thing I might do is remove any non-microsoft security packages, reboot and then try some header downloads. See if it thrashes less.

Now, I'm wondering if a couple of disparate problems I have are related to the heavy disk usage NewsBin is subjecting my system to. I got an electrical bill this past month that is TWICE what I normally get, month to month or year over year. There is NO confirmed cause for this rather unpleasant turn of bills. But I've been guilty of some negligence in shutting NB down of late. (some health issues). It seems to be the ONLY change in anything within my house. An extremely tenuous link.

Most PC's use at best a couple incandescent light bulbs worth of power even when going balls out. I'm not saying it's impossible but your existing bill would have to be pretty small already for a PC to double it. I think dirty vent lines on your dryer would have a far higher impact.

The second one is less so. According to Hard Disk Sentinel, the health of the drive housing NewsBin data files and program has dropped three percent in the last two months. Still, a little lacking in causality. But things are starting to add up to an unpleasant conclusion.

Assuming you're using header downloads (which you don't have to if you don't want to) depending on the number of groups, you might be downloading 10's of gigs of headers in a single day. It's not a trivial amount of data which needs to be processed and made available. With a search subscription, you wouldn't have to download headers at all or at most you might have to download headers for only groups Search doesn't cover.

The amount of data you download for headers in a day is a function of the groups you subscribe to. So by cutting back on the number of groups you download headers from, you will reduce the usage of the disk. Reducing the "Storage Age" might make things better or you might be better off doing a clean re-install, wiping all the existing headers, changing the "Download Age" to say 20 days then only maintaining 20 days worth of headers.

Your PC is a tool designed to work for you. Not using it because you're afraid of wearing it out is like buying a nice car but not driving it because you're afraid of door dings. Using something is going to wear it out. The harder you use it, the quicker it'll wear. I have something like 250 groups in my groups list but I don't download headers from the main heavy hitter groups because it's just too much data. You might consider doing that too. The amount of header you download won't change even if you change to a different application. Not using headers at all might be what you should be shooting for.

Appreciate the tough spot I've put you in. I hope there is an answer that will have me head-palming. I WANT to be what I have been for much of the last decade. A HAPPY NewsBin user.

I just think we have different philosophy's. My PC is a tool. If I have to replace the hard disk every 2 years but it brings me pleasure, so be it. Hard drives are relatively cheap. It's no different than oil changes on my car.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to Newbie Forum