Dumb question how do I use/unpack this type of file

There is no such thing as a stupid question here as long as it pertains to using NewsBin. Newbies feel free to get help getting started or asking questions that may be obvious. Regular users are asked to be gentle. :-)

Moderators: Quade, dexter

Dumb question how do I use/unpack this type of file

Postby fredthedog » Wed May 24, 2017 3:49 am

They appear to be a random collection of letters and numbers with NO extension

E76FC9885256A5
DF866EEHHS66777

etc

I try the par files and they don't seem to work

the download is finished

help would be appreciated Image link not allowed for unregistered users
fredthedog
n00b
n00b

Re: Dumb question how do I use/unpack this type of file

Postby Quade » Wed May 24, 2017 8:15 am

What do the PAR files show? The only way this kind of file set can typically work is with the PAR renaming the files back to their real name.

There is a rare variation of these files where the poster purposely damages the upload which the current Newsbin has problems downloading. I have a fix for that in the works in the next beta. You can ID these downloads because they cause "Post is not the post requested" errors in the logs.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby fredthedog » Wed May 24, 2017 8:24 am

Quade wrote:What do the PAR files show? The only way this kind of file set can typically work is with the PAR renaming the files back to their real name.

There is a rare variation of these files where the poster purposely damages the upload which the current Newsbin has problems downloading. I have a fix for that in the works in the next beta. You can ID these downloads because they cause "Post is not the post requested" errors in the logs.

The Par just comes back showing a load of missing RAR files and all the parts seem to be missing, it's happening with lots of the nzb I'm downloading usually movies
fredthedog
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Wed May 24, 2017 9:10 am

The Par just comes back showing a load of missing RAR files and all the parts seem to be missing, it's happening with lots of the nzb I'm downloading usually movies

You might need to manually feed these files into Quickpar because with the rename, quickpar might not be able to find them automatically.

Also keep in mind that QuickPar won't work in any folders with non-ascii characters. These days QP is pretty old.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Quade » Wed May 24, 2017 9:24 am

How about emailing a couple of these NZB's to ts@newsbin.com for Dex and I to check out?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby fredthedog » Wed May 24, 2017 8:48 pm

Quade wrote:How about emailing a couple of these NZB's to Links not allowed for unregistered users for Dex and I to check out?

Thanks just done it Image link not allowed for unregistered users

cheers
fredthedog
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Thu May 25, 2017 1:23 pm

I just downloaded one NZB. This IS from the posting group that purposely damages the upload. The next beta has a work around for this screwery.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby fredthedog » Thu May 25, 2017 8:18 pm

Quade wrote:I just downloaded one NZB. This IS from the posting group that purposely damages the upload. The next beta has a work around for this screwery.

thanks for the help I thought I was going mad Image link not allowed for unregistered users
fredthedog
n00b
n00b

Return to Newbie Forum