help needed with watch list syntax

There is no such thing as a stupid question here as long as it pertains to using NewsBin. Newbies feel free to get help getting started or asking questions that may be obvious. Regular users are asked to be gentle. :-)

Moderators: Quade, dexter

help needed with watch list syntax

Postby DeadSerious » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:48 pm

I thought I was setting up the search text syntax right, but it doesn't seem to work. Let's say I wanted a watch list called "Authors," and I want it to look for any headers with the terms "John Steinbeck" OR "William Faulkner" in them. How would I set that up? I've made two separate ones with two separate searches for each term, but I'd like to put them together under the "authors" heading. I've tried:

John Steinbeck|William Faulkner (which I thought would look for "john" AND "Faulkner" AND either Steinbeck OR William)
(John Steinbeck)|(William Faulkner) (which I thought would work)
"John Steinbeck"|"William Faulkner"
and variations thereof. None of them seemed to work.

I'm not familiar with the syntax, unfortunately, and haven't been able to find a place online that explains it very well. Can anyone give me a tip on how to do basic AND/OR searches using phrases instead of individual words?
DeadSerious
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/17/07

Re: help needed with watch list syntax

Postby Quade » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:08 pm

Are you using headers or the search engine for this?

The syntax is different between them.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby DeadSerious » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:21 pm

I'm using the watch lists, using the "internet" setting, instead of "download headers" and looking for what to put in the "search for" box. I also tried (John.Steinbeck)|(William.Faulkner) and the test expression seemed to work for both names, but when I scanned the topic, it didn't find any of the headers to be found under each separate watch list.

Also, I see that there is a place specifically for these questions. Sorry I didn't realize what "regular expressions" was, and glanced over it. You can move it there if you need to. Apologies for not looking closer.
DeadSerious
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:04 pm

I'm using the watch lists, using the "internet" setting,

Right so you're using our search engine for this. The search engine only supports simplified syntax AND and OR. The problem is your search term has to encompass all the results to work in a watch list. I don't see a good way to make that work.

As I see if you're can either:

1 - make multiple watch lists for example "(William And Faulkner)" returns some results and (John AND Steinbeck) returns some results so two different watch lists could return results.

OR

2 - You could subscribe to the groups you think contain the content you want, add them to a "group of groups" folder in the groups list, assign this group of groups to the watch list, then do a wildcard search (*) and then use a filter profile to filter down the wild card results. With a filter profile you could add multiple ACCEPT matches, one per line "John Steinbeck" in one line "William Faulkner" in the next.

To explain 2, a wildcard search returns all results for the group of groups so, lots of hits, then the filter profile is used to select through all these results and only keep the ones that match what you're looking for.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby DeadSerious » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:17 pm

I was using separate ones, so I can go back to that method. I was just trying to streamline some of the lists. Thanks!
DeadSerious
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby DeadSerious » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:50 am

Okay, I might need a bit more explanation. I tried method #2 you mentioned. I thought I had it right, and when I test it, it works, but it never seems to run in the rotation of watch lists. It skips right over it. Is it only able to be run manually?

It's active, and I've chosen "header download" and "authors" (the group of groups I created) for the "look in groups." I set the upper and lower limits at 500 mb and 0, respectively. And I have the filter I created chosen in the "filter profile" setting. Under "search for," I've chosen just the asterisk, nothing else.

I think I might be going wrong in the "assign the group of groups to the watch list" part. I already had the group of groups, so I just used it in a regular watch list. Was that correct?
DeadSerious
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:17 am

If you pick "Header Download" it only gets updated when you download headers meaning if you want the watch list to periodically get updated, you need to periodically download header (it's an option).

I thought you were using search for this? My original answer was for using our search engine. The syntax when using headers does make it easier to combine multiple in a single line.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby DeadSerious » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:21 pm

That's my misunderstanding. I changed it to headers because I thought I had to, since I was using a group of groups for the "look in" part. I was thinking it was going to download just the headers for those groups (or, I guess I thought it would use the ones already downloaded for them) and then search them for the correct terms.

I did use search to make a couple of individual ones, but then found your second idea interesting and wanted to give it a try, especially given the limit on watches.
DeadSerious
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Return to Newbie Forum