Newbie can't figure out Filter syntax

There is no such thing as a stupid question here as long as it pertains to using NewsBin. Newbies feel free to get help getting started or asking questions that may be obvious. Regular users are asked to be gentle. :-)

Moderators: Quade, dexter

Newbie can't figure out Filter syntax

Postby RankoSaotome » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:33 pm

Hello.

I am new to Newsbin.
In the past I used BinaryBoy for years, but it looks like it will not be developed further and I keep getting problems with perforkmance.
So I currently try NewsBinPro (6.73 b4821) with Win7 to test, if I can adapt it to my wishes.

Just now I have problems understanding and configuring the filters, that seem to be new in 6.73 as a GUI. I tried searching for help in the Online-Help, but this Section does only show simple settings, and those do not work for me.
I tried to search here, but did not find a fitting FAQ/posting. If there is, yould you please point me to it?

My Problem with Filters:
I want to configure NB to run almost automatically.
Therefor I want it to load the (new) Headers and put everything in the downloadlist, except for postings which I tried to flter with an manually created Filtergroup.
But the tests did not work, like I thought.
It seems I am making some simple mistakes in the way I try to specify the Filter-phrases. I found in the Forum the Thread 'filtering out header downloads', but somehow I do not unterstand that Filters. In BB I just entered the Systax I wanted to delete, clicked delete and after some seconds (depending on the Size of the List) the fitting postings were gone.

Here in NBP I am suprised it does not work so easy.
In the NBP Filter GUI I create a filter named throwaway
inside I let everything stay by default.
I just sepcify
Reject if Subject contains my name

Then I test it:
I type in the test field
Hello my name is jane
and it gets accepted.
Should this not get thrown away?
Please excuse my typos. I am not native english speaking.
= = = =
System: AMD FX8350 (8core @4GHz), 32GB DDR3, some SSD and some HDD, Win7 64bits
RankoSaotome
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Newbie can't figure out Filter syntax

Postby jackholexxxx » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:28 pm

Make sure you click the "Add" button before testing.
jackholexxxx
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/01/04

Postby RankoSaotome » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:43 pm

Hello.

I did click add, but it did not work.
Bur I guess I found the problem:

When I register a Syntax testing of the filtering does not work directly.
After I pressed ok, reopend the Filter again and tested again,l then I got the same sentence rejected.
Now I can try to recreate the Filters I used n the other Programm, because it really saves a lot of time and manual work.

Thank you very much!
= = = =
RankoSaotome
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby dexter » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:12 pm

I tried this myself and I'd say the Test button is broken. I'll point it out to Quade.

There are several different ways to apply Filters in Newsbin. Our attempt to make it so flexible is probably what makes it so complicated. If you want to apply filters on the fly, you can do it right in the post list (which is the list of posts that you get when you load a group of headers). Just type what you want to match in the field at the top left of the tab and hit enter and the list will change to only show the matches. In this way, you can search for stuff you don't want, then ctrl-a to select all and hit shift-delete to delete the headers if you are going through manually.

To set up an automatic download filter, you are in the right place. You want to create a special filter profile and then assign it to the newsgroup or groups you will be processing. It uses Regular Expression syntax so if you are doing anything other than a simple word match, you need to use regular expression syntax.

If you have any other specific questions, feel free to ask.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby RankoSaotome » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:30 pm

dexter wrote:There are several different ways to apply Filters in Newsbin. Our attempt to make it so flexible is probably what makes it so complicated.
Well, like I said: I come from an other program. There I have a grown List of around 80-100 Texts, to filter, that helped me a lot. I try to recreate this.

dexter wrote:If you want to apply filters on the fly, you can do it right in the post list (which is the list of posts that you get when you load a group of headers).
I must admit: at the moment I am testing with prepared nzb files and they go straight to the downloadlist.
What brings me to the next question: How to apply a Filter to the downloadlist to delete unwanted postings before they get downloaded?

dexter wrote:It uses Regular Expression syntax so if you are doing anything other than a simple word match, you need to use regular expression syntax.
Yesterday I found the link to the site with the regular expressions explained, but frankly after some time of searching and reading, I did not understand much. Seems all very close to programming. Well it looks like I need to spend more time on that site.

dexter wrote:If you have any other specific questions, feel free to ask.
Thank you. If it becomes to much, just tell me.
= = = =
RankoSaotome
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby dexter » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:03 pm

RankoSaotome wrote: I must admit: at the moment I am testing with prepared nzb files and they go straight to the downloadlist.
What brings me to the next question: How to apply a Filter to the downloadlist to delete unwanted postings before they get downloaded?

Go under Options -> NZB Options and configure the "NZB Loading Filter" there. Choose one of the filter profiles you created.

As for Regular Expressions, you can get by knowing some of the basics. If you want to PM me an example item you want to filter, I can write the RE for you.

Basics:

. matches any character
.* matches 0 or more of any character
.+ matches 1 or more of any characer

You can replace the "." with an actual character to match that.
Specify a range using square brackets. i.e. [A-Z0-9] matches all alphanumeric characters (Newsbin does case insensitive searching)

Here's an example to match the phrases "This is an important post" and "This is a very important post" and "This is a really awesome post"
this.+post
it means match "this", then one or more of any character and then the word "post".
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby RankoSaotome » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:42 pm

This is very helpfull and I will try to experiment with this.

Thank you very much!!
= = = =
RankoSaotome
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Return to Newbie Forum