Intermittent download/stalling - is it newsbin/isp/server?

There is no such thing as a stupid question here as long as it pertains to using NewsBin. Newbies feel free to get help getting started or asking questions that may be obvious. Regular users are asked to be gentle. :-)

Moderators: Quade, dexter

Intermittent download/stalling - is it newsbin/isp/server?

Postby mewbo » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:52 pm

hi,
this keeps happening:
https://youtu.be/L634UY-wsZU

i'm not running any other internet activity/downloads.
its been doing this for maybe a year, i've just kind of lived with it - but i want to get to the bottom of it now coz its really annoying me.
is there any way to check what it is?
i'm not sure what it could be. i'm with an isp that is known to be pretty good in UK, they have never cared or throttled usenet downloading, but, you never know.

any ideas where to start and how to diagnose this?

i've got the connections set to 15
newshosting is my usenet provider, using SSL.
mewbo
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 09/24/12

Re: Intermittent download/stalling - is it newsbin/isp/serve

Postby Quade » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:05 pm

1 - First thing I notice is your speed goes to shit when the cache hits zero. The cache will go to zero and force Newsbin to flush chunks of the download to disk. The faster the flush, the faster it gets back to downloading so, this suggests writing to disk is slow.

2 - Your speed peaks as 50 Mbps or so, which really isn't that fast. Some users are reporting close to 1 Gbps download speeds which suggests it's very possible to go much faster.

3 - What kind of disk is the data folder on? How about the download folder? Is this a VM or Linux?

I've seen this before and it was the security package messing up the download. First thing I'd do is uninstall any non-MS virus software or firewalls, reboot and try some test downloads. This will let us set a baseline speed. If the performance is significantly better, you might need to look to a less intrusive security package. Typically the MS only stuff, defender and the like, don't impact download speed.

You could probably increase the cache size to be larger than the size of any individual file you download (maybe 600-1000) but this just tends to put off issues of slow disks. I can sustain 125 Mbps continuous with no dips in speed to a couple spinning disks so you should be able to too.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby mewbo » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:10 pm

well....your comments pointed to obvious stuff which i did not even think of - so thank you, i didnnt even consider the basics - i think you've worked it out actually, i'll explain.

firstly, the peak speed is correct, i only get 50mbps down.
but secondly, yeh, i'm downloading to a network drive. its a 1Gbps network, the drive is right next to me, its a cabled network.
i just ran a file speed test, copying a large file from my c drive to the network drive - and its TERRIBLE. 15-17Mbps transfer speed.

i have no idea why its so bad. so yeh, its drive/network related.
i'll have to dig into a whole new area of investigation now. Great.

its not any antivirus thing - i just use windows defender. i duno where to start in diagnosing why a network isn't running at full speed - if you have any obvious pointers that would help, i'm a noob.
I'll do my own research too.

thanks

EDIT:
its not the network - i just sent a transfer to another device on the network, my linux tv satellite box which is miles away downstairs, and it was transferring at 40+Mbps - so its my Dlink network drive which is screwed in some way......
mewbo
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 09/24/12

Postby Quade » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:10 pm

I'd suggest downloading to a local drive and unraring to a remote drive. For repair and download, you really need local download speed.

Unrar will still be slow but the download can continue running at higher speeds. Keep in mind that repair and unrar will fall behind if you do that.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to Newbie Forum