Usenet is dying

There is no such thing as a stupid question here as long as it pertains to using NewsBin. Newbies feel free to get help getting started or asking questions that may be obvious. Regular users are asked to be gentle. :-)

Moderators: Quade, dexter

Usenet is dying

Postby tongueboy » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:55 am

You must know this will completely destroy your business model.
Do you have any solutions or should I cancel my membership now?
tongueboy
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/27/12

Re: Usenet is dying

Postby Quade » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:38 am

What I download isn't impacted but we're aware that things have become more obscure.

Dex and I are talking about what to do about it. We have some ideas.

Our search engine pulls out many obscured posts and lets you download them. It's a moving target though so we have to constantly make changes. If you're not using search, you could try it.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby mister_loaf » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:45 pm

Quade wrote:What I download isn't impacted but we're aware that things have become more obscure.

Dex and I are talking about what to do about it. We have some ideas.

Our search engine pulls out many obscured posts and lets you download them. It's a moving target though so we have to constantly make changes. If you're not using search, you could try it.

Newsbin does pretty well with the "obscured" posts. However, there's a much bigger problem. Usenet is being flooded with garbage posts -- hundreds and hundreds of gigabytes every day, and this has been going on for quite a while. I just don't see how it is sustainable.
mister_loaf
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 08/30/17

Postby Quade » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:54 pm

Newsbin does pretty well with the "obscured" posts. However, there's a much bigger problem. Usenet is being flooded with garbage posts -- hundreds and hundreds of gigabytes every day, and this has been going on for quite a while. I just don't see how it is sustainable.

They're usable posts, just not usable by people downloading headers. I'm not seeing much trash posting. Instead I'm seeing a bunch of competing obscured posts.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to Newbie Forum