Hashed File Names throughout Newsgroups

There is no such thing as a stupid question here as long as it pertains to using NewsBin. Newbies feel free to get help getting started or asking questions that may be obvious. Regular users are asked to be gentle. :-)

Moderators: Quade, dexter

Hashed File Names throughout Newsgroups

Postby maxpower7 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:05 pm

I'm putting this in Newbie because it may be a generally known issue, but I haven't figured it out. (boo) So it seems that the use of Hashed or unreadable file names is common in usenet today. I assume that this is a result of DCMA and other similar issues. I subscribe to Newsbin search. Does newsbin search assist in resolving file names? I was poking around a.b.mom and found a ton of hashed file names. Is there way to resolve them? I have seen discussion of self indexing software is that the common solution? I guess I'm hoping there is a way to resolve filenames that I am missing. Thanks for reading and I hope you guys have some insight on this issue.
maxpower7
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/06/03

Re: Hashed File Names throughout Newsgroups

Postby Quade » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:03 pm

The current search engine can reveal the real name of many but not all of these hashed files. Dex and I are working on improvements to the search engine in order to ID even more of them.

While It does seem to be a DMCA defense, I see the hashed files getting removed too so, it doesn't seem very effective.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to Newbie Forum