Question I've wondered

There is no such thing as a stupid question here as long as it pertains to using NewsBin. Newbies feel free to get help getting started or asking questions that may be obvious. Regular users are asked to be gentle. :-)

Moderators: Quade, dexter

Question I've wondered

Postby tacomaguy20 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:01 pm

I've been using Newsbin pro for a while now and I've always wondered that when a file fails, shows a red bar progressing across the screen, and the log file says no such article found, does Newsbin actually download anything? I mean does it use any Mbs of your available download block with your provider? I've never paid that much attention to it but maybe because it shows, for example, a 2Gig file for each download and looks like its progressing slowly (albeit, in red), it got me wondering. I would think that with failed files, wouldn't they just turn red instantly instead of slowly progressing? It seems like it takes the same amount of time for a failed file to finish failing as it takes a proper file to download. Anyways, I posted in the newbie section because it seems like something that I should already know. Thanks
tacomaguy20
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Question I've wondered

Postby Quade » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:37 pm

Newsbin sends up about 60 bytes of data and gets back about 60 bytes with each 430 error (430 being "post not found"). So while there's some traffic there's not much.

When the posts is there:

--60 bytes--> Server
<-- 300-1Mbytes -- server

When it's not:

--60 bytes--> Server
<-- 60 bytes -- server

Failures are probably the slowest interaction with the server. Honestly if you see more than 10% failure, you should probably delete the download.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby tacomaguy20 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:34 am

Quade wrote:Failures are probably the slowest interaction with the server. Honestly if you see more than 10% failure, you should probably delete the download.

I often catch it but that gets me wondering, is there anyway to get Newsbin to delete the download automatically once it reaches a certain % of failure
tacomaguy20
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:38 am

Not yet. It's on my plate to add it but I just haven't yet.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby tacomaguy20 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:21 pm

awesome thanks
tacomaguy20
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby RankoSaotome » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:05 pm

tacomaguy20 wrote:: ...is there anyway to get Newsbin to delete the download automatically once it reaches a certain % of failure

Quade wrote:Not yet. It's on my plate to add it but I just haven't yet.

If you insert such a feature, please make the percentage adjustable or at least create an on/off Switch.

Sometimes I only get some parts of a big download, and when I hunt the rest, I find it in other Groups and can combine manually.
If NBP would throw the download away, I would get nothing and would not even see that there are missing parts and could manually hunt the rest.

Thanks.
Please excuse my typos. I am not native english speaking.
= = = =
System: AMD FX8350 (8core @4GHz), 32GB DDR3, some SSD and some HDD, Win7 64bits
RankoSaotome
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Return to Newbie Forum