Help making a request on a newsgroup.

There is no such thing as a stupid question here as long as it pertains to using NewsBin. Newbies feel free to get help getting started or asking questions that may be obvious. Regular users are asked to be gentle. :-)

Moderators: Quade, dexter

Help making a request on a newsgroup.

Postby Bilbo2010 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:06 am

Hi,

I am a total noob with newsgroups. I sort of worked out how to find a group/list a group and create a post. But I get an error message '440 Posting not allowed' and that has just thrown me. I take it I don't have access to the group. Tried another group along a similar subject matter and got same message. How do I get access to post on a group? I tried in Newsbin and Thunderbird.

My only thought was perhaps after you subscribe to a group there is a delay between subscribing and being able to post, or am I on the wrong track?

The group I am after is a.b.british.documentaries or any group that handles documentaries.

Any help much appreciated Image link not allowed for unregistered users
Bilbo2010
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Help making a request on a newsgroup.

Postby Quade » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:23 pm

'440 Posting not allowed'

This message is from your news server. Typically it's all or nothing. You might have to go into the control panel for your news server and enable posting.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Bilbo2010 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:07 pm

Quade wrote:This message is from your news server. Typically it's all or nothing. You might have to go into the control panel for your news server and enable posting.

Great I will look at that, thanks for the info.
Bilbo2010
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Bilbo2010 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:13 pm

OK checked my server settings and it stated NNTP upload disabled ... so I assume that is the issue. It has a button to enable, but it doesn't seem to do anything. So I will contact their support. Thanks for the help.
Bilbo2010
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Bilbo2010 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:20 pm

Right my bad, once you press enable button you get confirmation email to confirm it is you requesting the change. Hopefully things should work now Image link not allowed for unregistered users
Bilbo2010
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Return to Newbie Forum