Downloading confusion

There is no such thing as a stupid question here as long as it pertains to using NewsBin. Newbies feel free to get help getting started or asking questions that may be obvious. Regular users are asked to be gentle. :-)

Moderators: Quade, dexter

Downloading confusion

Postby jon dough » Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:10 pm

I had used Newsbin for a few years before a period of being busy with other things. It seemed easy to use and did what I needed. Now it does not.
I believe my Newsbin registration and Usenet subscription to be valid after a recent check.
Both Giganews and Usenetserver are on the Server list but only Usenetserver is enabled.
I recently tried downloading some posts from several groups on Usenetserver and observed this outcome:
The "Current Progress" bar appears to show downloading, with blocks of mostly gray color with a thin green line at top of each block. A number of these blocks may appear, perhaps all for a small file before some or all turn red.Eventually all are red.
The "Status" area shows something like this: [1 FILES, 0 PARS] D:0 DL:1 retry:0 N:10.
I can find no downloaded files.
I want to make it simple again.
jon dough
n00b
n00b

Re: Downloading confusion

Postby Quade » Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:02 pm

Look in the logging tab. If you see "430" errors. These represent part of the file the server claims not to have anymore. Typically the only reason you see failed downloads is these "430" errors.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to Newbie Forum