How to change "data folder" in 5.40 RC3?

Post technical questions and get help with NewsBin Pro Version 5.

How to change "data folder" in 5.40 RC3?

Postby BrownBullhead » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:55 am

I uninstalled my 5.40 install, clearing all settings for all Windows users.

I then installed 5.40 RC3 clean install. I changed the "data folder" and the "download folder" to custom settings.

Later on, I decided I want the data folder on a different partition. Well, unlike the previous versions I have used, this one has a button to allow me to open the current data folder in Windows Explorer, but where would I change it? You can see that I can still change the download folder to wherever I want.

Normally the first two options would be to change the absolute path of "download" and "data" folders. This screenshot shows my situation; seems strange?

BrownBullhead
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 06/18/03

Postby BrownBullhead » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:05 am

I think I found my answer:

http://forums.newsbin.com/viewtopic.php ... ata+folder

A bit inconvenient to have to edit .nbi with text editor, but at least there is a valid solution. :)
BrownBullhead
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby itimpi » Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:05 am

Apparently a lot of people have been messing things up when changing the DATA folder via the GUI, and this was causing support issues. Therefore the change to add the option to the SETUP program to specify the initial location and changing this folder to be done via editing the .NBI file (which only the more advanced users are expected to attempt).

In some of the builds released to internal testers even the button to Open the DATA folder was removed. However there were complaints that it made it to hard for a novice user to find out what the current setting was, so the button to open the folder was put back.

The online documentation needs to catch up with this change.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby Quade » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:15 am

Yeah the problem is, there's a complete sequence you have to follow to change the data folder and just selecting the data folder in the options only did one part of the sequence.

1) Exit Newsbin
2) Edit the NBI file with Notepad.
3) Move the data folder
4) Double-click the NBI to reload it into Newsbin.

#4's needed for those cases where you moved the NBI with the data folder.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby BrownBullhead » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:32 pm

Quade: 100% understood. Thank you for the clarification! :)

itimpi: I never realized the .NBI was not a binary file. :) Thank you for your input as well. :)
BrownBullhead
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby obvious » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:07 pm

I've always tended to share .nbi's over different systems rather than going through all the settings manually whenever I do an OS or newsbin reinstall.

Typically on a fresh install I input garbage server details etc just to get the program installed then exit out and double click on an old .nbi to launch it the way I like it. (Perhaps the installer could have an option to load settings from .nbi?)

The problem comes when I reinstall on my laptop which doesn't have a D: drive (where the .nbi thinks the data folder is) so I have to edit the .nbi first.

It's NOT a big problem but doing a dummy install, editing then loading the .nbi is a bit inconvenient.
obvious
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/13/03

Return to V5 Technical Support