How many times can I use my registration code?

Post technical questions and get help with NewsBin Pro Version 5.

How many times can I use my registration code?

Postby youlookingatme » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:31 pm

If I purchase Newsbin, how many times can I use my registration code? I reinstall a fresh OS frequently. I use Virtual Machines to run tests, etc. I may install Newsbin numerous times.

I don't want to buy it then find out I used the code too many times. I plan to use a prepaid card, so there's no way for me to prove I bought it.

Thanks
youlookingatme
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:38 am

You can use it on 3 machines. If you uninstall, before you re-install, your use count will decrement so, you can get back to 3 machines again.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby youlookingatme » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:26 pm

I don't suppose there's any way for me to look at the official count for my registration code.

I usually don't even bother uninstalling programs. When my OS gets to cluttered up, I usually just restore a bare-bones image of my system partition, and most of my programs disappear. When I use virtual machines and I don't want a particular VM anymore, I just delete the whole thing, and all my programs disappear.

Furthermore, you can uninstall a program as many times as you want for a single install. Let's say I create a VM and install Newsbin on it. I can create as many copies of that VM as I want and uninstall Newsbin on all of them. So, what happens if you have more uninstalls than installs?

Let me just say that I would prefer that the registration system not be so constraining. I know you deal with a lot of cracks, so your hands are tied to some extent, but I don't like having to check in with one of your servers to validate my copy.

I have another question. How often does a registered copy of Newsbin send out the registration code. I understand that it needs to do it when you first register. I'm guessing it also does for internet search, to verify that you've paid for that service. Or does it send out something else?

But if you've already registered and you don't use the internet search, does it still send out the registration code? I'm asking for privacy reasons and not to crack it. Another way to state my question is after you've been verified the first time, do you need to be verified every time you use the program? Or is it a one time thing?

Thanks
youlookingatme
n00b
n00b

Postby dexter » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:48 pm

You seem to recognize there is a tradeoff between being too restrictive and too lax with our key system. We either annoy honest paying users or, make it too easy to steal the program.

Morally, we refuse to put out a product that phones home every time you start it up. We are the last of a dying breed as I don't know many other mainstream apps that still do this. Newsbin checks our key server only when you enter your registration key. Registered users can turn off the MOTD so it won't even hit our server for that. Internet Search users have to hit our server and we do authenticate with the key to make sure they are subscribers.

I won't answer all your questions but I will say that we try to allow for a reasonable number OS reinstalls or system changes. In addition to decrementing the key whenever you uninstall, we also do not increment the key use if you haven't used the key in awhile. This is how we allow a number of OS reinstalls or system changes throughout the year.

If you really are installing in clean VM's and don't plan to run it more than the 10 day trial period, I'd recommend not even entering the key unless you are on a stable system you intend to keep for awhile. We try to be reasonable and will reset keys if you have an explanation as to why you got locked out but, we aren't going to reset someone a number of times, it just goes beyond a reasonable limit of support when we ask for a one time registration fee.

I hope this all makes sense to you and that you agree it is a fair policy. I haven't done a survey lately but, I don't know of many other high profile programs that provide more flexibility than we do.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mascot » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:57 am

Whatever the system is, it seems to be working from my point of view. I've installed and registered Newsbin on a lot of machines/installations over the years, and so far it hasn't tried to tell me I'm a thief. Granted, if ever it were to start, I'd be rather annoyed. But it seems the algorithm that's in place is well enough thought out to cater to most uses. Activating in throw-away VMs would fall firmly outside "normal use" in my opinion.

Of course, now that I've said that, bet the very next time I install it'll refuse to activate. :P
Mascot
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 09/25/06

Postby youlookingatme » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:49 am

Mascot wrote:Whatever the system is, it seems to be working from my point of view. I've installed and registered Newsbin on a lot of machines/installations over the years, and so far it hasn't tried to tell me I'm a thief. Granted, if ever it were to start, I'd be rather annoyed. But it seems the algorithm that's in place is well enough thought out to cater to most uses. Activating in throw-away VMs would fall firmly outside "normal use" in my opinion.

Of course, now that I've said that, bet the very next time I install it'll refuse to activate. Image link not allowed for unregistered users

I purchased my copy, but I guarantee you it's not your place or anyone's place to tell me what normal use is, as long as I'm the only one using it. I personally don't care what the policy is. Lifetime subscription means lifetime subscription.

It's their job to accommodate the different ways people use the program.

But I'm glad to know it's worked well for you.
youlookingatme
n00b
n00b

Postby Mascot » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:24 am

Nobody can tell you what _you_ perceive "normal use" to be, but the term usually does mean an average usage pattern, not every conceivable usage pattern.

For example, you'd be hard pressed to find anybody agreeing that it's normal to install and register a product in a dozen VMs, only to toss those away a few days later and do it all again.

In principle I dislike any system such as this. The two things that make me accept it in Newsbin's case is 1) it's a product that's useless unless online, so the "online" part of activation is not an issue, and 2) it doesn't have a hard limit of a couple of computers, but will essentially allow you to install on unlimited computers as long as you pace yourself.

I do think the initial ceiling should be more than 3. A disseminated key will see a _lot_ more registration attempts than that in a short period of time.

Be that as it may, I've been through countless machines and installations, I don't think I ever thought far enough to uninstall Newsbin before scrapping any of them. Yet I still have no issues activating it to this day (knock on wood).
Mascot
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 09/25/06

Postby haileris » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:32 pm

I've moved newsbin around a while recently to try to diagnose issues with its performance and at times inability to function correctly. That may or may not be down to my hardware, the jury is still out on that from my point of view. But from my perspective, I do pay a reasonable amount of money for internet access and a chunk more for premium news so I guess I would be annoyed if the product locked me out denying me the use of a program I have paid for in order to take advantage of the said other services I have purchased. Like someone else mentioned in this thread, not sure I would like being essentially labeled a thief if I did exceed this pre-determined limit.

Having said that, it hasn't done it yet but then again it might next time and in my case newsbin is not running on its (hopefully) final resting place.

Maybe I missed it but it would be nice to see that uninstallation message resetting your usage account in your face as one of the MOTD. I would have uninstalled it last time (and the time before) instead of blasting the partition away! I also think as part of your sign up procedures all this is made clear (but perhaps it was and I missed it - wouldnt suprise me, never read the small print!?)
haileris
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:02 pm

I wouldn't worry about it till it becomes a real issue. If you get locked out, just email us.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Gradius » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:48 pm

Guys, I'm afraid I lost my key, I stopped using newsbin since 11/2007, because a trip overseas, it lasted almost 3 years, and now I cannot find my newsbin key!

I tried to using the recovery system, but all my 3 main e-mails wasn't available on system, and I cannot remember when I buyed it at all.

"Database search failed." all the time.

Help! :cry:
Gradius
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 09/09/06

Postby dexter » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:55 pm

Send email to sales at newsbin dot com and someone will help you out.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Gradius » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:07 pm

dexter wrote:Send email to sales at newsbin dot com and someone will help you out.

Thanks, will do.

Loves newsbin support.
Gradius
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Gradius » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:27 pm

I just want to know, the key is recorded on a file, or on system registry only? If on file, I might look for my files on the old HDDs here.

Thanks.
Gradius
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby dexter » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:38 pm

Key is in the windows registry.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Gradius » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:38 pm

Got my key again.

AMAZING support, love you guys!

Everyone using this software as trial or unregistered, or even as "gray" should buy it asap!

Let's support them.
Gradius
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: How many times can I use my registration code?

Postby rh » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:58 am

Well, I'm glad the uninstall process was mentioned. I had no idea it would do a decrement. I just wiped one machine and "uninstalled" several apps that I suspect 'take note' of my uninstall. I just didn't think about newsbin. But, there's a 2nd machine I've not wiped out yet so I'll be sure to do that one - I've not used it for over a year after migrating to the now destroyed one. I only use it on one box, I just like to keep things in order when I can.

I guess this also explains the "pause" dialog I've never seen before. On this brand new machine it shows me registered, probably because of the .ini I brought over from the other machine??? But this "machine" has never been registered, so I get the pause?
rh
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/27/04

Return to V5 Technical Support