How to handle par files

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

How to handle par files

Postby rbswft » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:47 pm

Like the look and feel of new version. Great work.

But I may be in a minority in that I only download the pars I need. Then run Quickpar outside of Newsbin so less stress on the machine running this. I have tried to disable the autopar function (still has option to send to Par Tab BTW) and no joy.

In the old Version I used to have the par2 file only and the others I would pick from the PAR tab what was required, saved downloading unwanted par files being downloaded.

How can this be done in the new version? Tried sending individual par files to "wish list" but that sends the whole compact view of files and not just PAR files.

Thanks in advance
rbswft
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: How to handle par files

Postby itimpi » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:48 pm

The current version will only download required par2 files.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby DThor » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:55 pm

There is some sense to not bundling pars into the sets if you have disabled autopar, but I'm wondering if that starts to get non-intuitive - you add a compact set(including pars) to the download queue, and they get split up? I definitely see your point, though, if you don't want NB to manage it, downloading all of the parset is overkill. Another option is, NB could just leave them sitting in the dload queue showing the primaries are downloaded, the pars are left sitting there in pause mode? Since you've decided to manually manage this anyway, you have to step by step through things, this could be like a to\-do list?(bit of a stretch).

What aspect of the autopar don't you like? If you could defer processing until all downloads are done, is that workable?

DT

P.S. to Itimpi - he doesn't want to run autopar...
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby rbswft » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:46 pm

You right, just think its over kill to put all PAR's in the queue. Some times people post as many PAR files as actual files. Know certain ISP monitor what you download and this could eat up bandwidth limits. (dont get me started on BT or virgin here in UK..."we give super quick bandwidth but you use it up in super quick time"...) sorry off topic.

Tried the autopar option on new version and it seems to download them all THEN do the quickpar thing. Seems a strange way of doing it. Surely would be better to download what is required to repair. I may have missed a tick box somehwere to set this to download what is required.

Like the idea of the to-do list though, thought the wishlist could incorporate this. Seems the wishlist has replaced the par list but with the ability to add "maybe" downloads.

Do like the compact nature of the new version as makes things nice and tidy, but think a compact just for PARS maybe good. But even then you cant unpause just single files.

Never used Autopar as like to download what is required at later date. Have a VM machine that just sits on a box running newsbin. Autopar seems to eat resources and slows down downloads so always done manually in older versions of newsbin. So if any incompletes just download a few PAR's from par list to fix.

Your idea of doing all autopar when queue empty is also better idea. But then its still downloading lots of files that maybe not required.

Seems to gain a nice tidy view of downloads but loose flexibility in this new version. New is good but sometimes old is better.
rbswft
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:35 pm

Set properly...

1 - Add a set to the download list that includes pars

2 - Smallest par downloads while the rest of the files remain paused.

3 - When a valid par is downloaded (might take more then one) the rest of the files are unpaused and downloaded.

4 - When the last file is downloaded, if pars are needed, the par(s) needed are download

5 - Files are repaired and unrared.

6 - The rest of the pars and files are removed from the download list, none of the unneeded pars are downloaded.

That's how it works by default. you can disable this and stop the unrar or download all the files and rars with the settings. This doesn't work very well when the pars and files aren't grouped together. Still thinking about how that's supposed to work.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby rbswft » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:43 am

Thanks for response.

Did as you said and tried the autopar. Maybe a convert to this now.

I was using CTRL-Y (old habit when newgroups had issues) and that downloaded all Par's.

Now using CTRL-E andthat does only specific pars required. So that part does work.

But I have noticed that in Version 6, it does not mark the post as downloaded if Par's grouped together. Guessing it assumes that because all Par's not downloaded it assumes it hasnt been completed. If post has no Par's then it does mark as completed.

If I CTRL-Y it , it does mark post as downloaded.

Ticked duplicate and that solves issue but still not showing in NZB list that it has been done.

Any advice most welcome.
rbswft
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:05 am

I don't really get what you're trying to tell me.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby itimpi » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:11 am

rbswft wrote:Thanks for response.
But I have noticed that in Version 6, it does not mark the post as downloaded if Par's grouped together. Guessing it assumes that because all Par's not downloaded it assumes it hasnt been completed. If post has no Par's then it does mark as completed.

If I CTRL-Y it , it does mark post as downloaded.

If a post is not being marked as downloaded when it has past the basic autopar completeness check then this sounds like a bug? It should not be necessary to run a repair/unpack I would have thought for completeness to be assumed. However if a repair or unpack is run and it fails I assume the post would be left marked as Downloaded, but moved to the Failed Files tab for the user to resolve the issue. At the moment I am not certain that the Failed Files tab makes it clear enough why an entry has been added there.

I am not sure at what point a post should be marked as downloaded when autopar is completely disabled. Should it be when all non-par2 files have been downloaded, or is there some other logical point.
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Postby Quade » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:24 am

"Downloaded" as a state simply means the file was downloaded. There's no connection between that and unrar/repair state.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby rbswft » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:20 pm

sorry will try and clear this up.

If I have 4 seperate compact files in a NZB file, download them, autopar woks fine. But it does not mark the files in the NZB as downloaded.

If I download all the files including all the Pars then it does mark the post as downloaded. But it must download all the Par's to show as downloaded.

If its a single file, then works fine.

Hope that helps.
rbswft
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby itimpi » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:26 pm

Are you talikng here about 4 files making up a rar set, or 4 independent files, or perhaps even multiple par sets in one NZBfile? I am not seeing this, so I am wondering what I am doing that is different to you?
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Postby rbswft » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:45 pm

4 rar files in a set and 3 par files.

If download just rar files and par2 single file, it doesnt show as downloaded. But if all 7 files, then shows downloaded.

4 independent files woks fine..

If I close the NZB file and reopen, still showing as not downlaoded.
rbswft
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Return to V6 Technical Support