Feature Requests

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Re: Feature Requests

Postby kenr » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:37 am

Could we have the option of opening multiple GOG's in tabs with the open button? You can select multiple GOG's but not have then open in new tabs.

BTW running under wine OK so far - just updating the groups from 5.5 just now.
kenr
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/13/03

Postby Fedora_Guy » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:27 am

Great work so far. :) My suggestions, a few of which I haven't seen mentioned yet:

-- Option to delete NZB file (from local hdd) on import to NBP
-- Option to set Sample files (video file, related pars, etc) to paused on import - or better yet, removed and not used at all
-- Option to auto clean up after unrar (eg remove .srr, .sfv, any .htm and .html files etc)
-- Option to individually remove sections on tabs (eg remove Download Path but leave the rest)
-- More info during par2 checking and unrar. This is very much faster in v6 and that's great, but after six downloads I still have no idea about when par2 and unrar are running - and how they are progressing. Maybe it's just so fast I missed it, but I don't think that's the case. That info just doesn't seem to be present, at least not clearly(?)

I think that's it... for now. :lol: Keep up the good work guys.
Fedora_Guy
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/08/08

Postby itimpi » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:50 am

Fedora_Guy wrote:-- Option to individually remove sections on tabs (eg remove Download Path but leave the rest)

why not simply shrink unwanted olumns to zero width? Normally the complaint is that a column can't be found because a user did this by acident :)
-- More info during par2 checking and unrar. This is very much faster in v6 and that's great, but after six downloads I still have no idea about when par2 and unrar are running - and how they are progressing. Maybe it's just so fast I missed it, but I don't think that's the case. That info just doesn't seem to be present, at least not clearly(?)

This is shown by the progress bar color. Yellow=repairing, green=unraring. However that does not mean there is not room for improvement in providing feedback.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby Fedora_Guy » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:53 am

itimpi wrote:why not simply shrink unwanted olumns to zero width? Normally the complaint is that a column can't be found because a user did this by acident :)

That's what I've always done, but it's annoying and messy in comparison with being able to simply right click and remove. :)

This is shown by the progress bar color. Yellow=repairing, green=unraring. However that does not mean there is not room for improvement in providing feedback.

That's what I meant. Amount of damage (blocks missing, or else blocks x of y) plus progress, and ETA would be nice. The rest of my suggestions stand however, especially pausing or removing samples and a user-specified 'clean up list' (sfv, srr, etc).
Fedora_Guy
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby richy99 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:54 am

you can right click the entry and go to properties to see extra information
richy99
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/31/03

Postby Quade » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:55 pm

That's what I've always done, but it's annoying and messy in comparison with being able to simply right click and remove

I agree. Shrinking the column is a trouble-prone way to do this. It's what you've got now but, not necessarily the best way.

That's what I meant. Amount of damage (blocks missing, or else blocks x of y) plus progress, and ETA would be nice.

At some level you're not supposed to care about how damaged the files are. Honestly, who really cares unless the repair fails? At that point you might need to dig in. Then you can look at the right click properties and see current state. That's my perspective anyway. I think the details should be hidden away until someone digs in. The old autopar tab was as much a cludge as shrinking columns to hide them. It works, you get used to it but, it's not that best way to do it.

As for the ETA, I have no idea how long it takes the repair engine to do it's thing. Not sure you can correlate missing blocks to time, because it varies depending on block and file sizes.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Fedora_Guy » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:04 pm

What about the other ones Quade? Pretty please? :mrgreen:

-- Option to delete NZB file (from local hdd) on import to NBP
-- Option to set Sample files (video file, related pars, etc) to paused on import - or better yet, removed and not used at all
-- Option to auto clean up after unrar (eg remove .srr, .sfv, any .htm and .html files etc)
Fedora_Guy
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby richy99 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:11 pm

the deleting of nzb files possibly not, as it goes ito the loaded folder and if you need it again saves you downlaoding them

auto clean has been discused, it might make it further down the beta cycle
richy99
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Postby Quade » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:50 pm

I'm not at the point where I have an opinion on the other things. It's just software, anything is possible,
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby egandt » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:13 pm

The top 2 menu bars (icons and file menu) can not be put on the same line, it would be nice to be able to do so since it would save some real-estate.
egandt
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/26/03

Postby Quade » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:30 pm

Don't think you can. For some reason, you can't hide the menu par too.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Mastermind » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:37 am

Quade wrote:For some reason, you can't hide the menu par too.

Is it possible that the menu bar is blocked because you open the customize window from it?
Mastermind
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/15/03

Postby Quade » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:23 am

You can open it from the view menu too. The check doesn't take either way.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby taowelie » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:21 pm

2nd time poster, long time user since ~05.

Sorry if this has been mentioned before:

It would be great to see a Widget type of view feature. One where you can view at a very quick glance which POST/File/Speed/etc. Something I can keep running on a desktop without taking over the entire landscape.

Regards,
Dave
taowelie
n00b
n00b

Postby davidn » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:57 pm

A lot of my downloading is done as it is being posted. I find out in a fourm that something is being posted in the group I monitor. Some posts take many hours or even days to complete. My wish is I could start downloading a set that is incomplete with NewsBin Pro and as NBP is updated it grabs the additional files in the set automaticaly untill it is complete.
davidn
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/05/03

Postby Quade » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:11 pm

A lot of my downloading is done as it is being posted. I find out in a fourm that something is being posted in the group I monitor. Some posts take many hours or even days to complete. My wish is I could start downloading a set that is incomplete with NewsBin Pro and as NBP is updated it grabs the additional files in the set automaticaly untill it is complete.

This has been on my mind too. It should be doable. It's almost a form of automode. When a header download completes. The current downloads should check in and see if there's any new data for them.

The current design permits this, just a matter of figuring out how.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby x0r » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:02 pm

Please bring back search bar on top of download windows :(, i have 2000 items on my list kind of hard to select without searching.

Other suggestion, how about grouping each tree based upon the folder in which the item destined to download?, so if let i download tv season 1 on d:\tv-season 1, it will be grouped as 1 tree, the implementation right now seems based on filename?, please make my suggestion as a separated option if many people favor these current implementation.

Hold left click & drop on a item/items will move arrangement up/down.

Last one, an icon or menu to collapse/expand highlighted trees.
Last edited by x0r on Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.
x0r
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 09/05/04

Postby richy99 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:06 pm

x0r wrote:Please bring back search bar on top of download windows :(, i have 2000 items on my list kind of hard to select without searching.

it might come back, its a case of how it woudl work withthe new design
richy99
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Postby x0r » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:11 pm

richy99 wrote:
x0r wrote:Please bring back search bar on top of download windows :(, i have 2000 items on my list kind of hard to select without searching.

hmm, is there any way to going to with 5.99? , it seems my database have been converted into 6.xx db?, i forgot to backup lol.
x0r
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby richy99 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:22 pm

x0r wrote:
richy99 wrote:

hmm, is there any way to going to with 5.99? , it seems my database have been converted into 6.xx db?, i forgot to backup lol.

if you removed the 5.59 spool_v1 folder then you would need to download all your headers again if you revert
richy99
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Postby Quade » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:40 pm

5.59 and 6 should coexist. You just can't run them at the same time.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby x0r » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:24 am

Quade wrote:5.59 and 6 should coexist. You just can't run them at the same time.

It seems the 6.0b1 already converted my Downloads.db3, no matter how long i opened 5.99 it won't load the Downloads.db3 anymore, the download list just empty, is there any way to get back my download list?
x0r
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby richy99 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:34 am

might need to save your download list as an nzb file from 6 and then import into 5.59
richy99
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Postby x0r » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:28 am

richy99 wrote:might need to save your download list as an nzb file from 6 and then import into 5.59

Thanks it works but now the "Download Path" change itself into "New" folder, it was based on "Download folder" options + release name, now all comes into this "new" folder lol, how to to do assign a path automatically, it's too many for me to assign the download path manually :(.
x0r
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:10 pm

Yeah, coexist doesn't mean they share data formats.

They can both use the same downloads.db3 but, 5.59 won't see 6's data. Downloads.db3 is a database file which means they can both use it but, not step on each other's data. For compaction, the download list format had to change for 6.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Bismark » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:59 pm

I would like to be able to lock out posters based on a search string including the ability to lockout domains. Likewise, it would be great to be able to search by domain or part of a domain.

Also, If I lockout something, I would like to have Newsbin delete the entry for all newsgroups that have that locked entry. Now, each time I go to a different newsgroup, I have to delete those entries.

Thanks!
Bismark
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/27/10

Postby MrBrad92122 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:58 pm

phusion wrote:A feature request for v6.
A "lockout poster and remove from download" option.

I'll second that. Actually, I'd like it to scan downloads in the same manner as PARs now, and if a virus is found, stop downloading all files from that userid *for this session* and delete those already downloaded from that user.

I hate stumbling down the hallway in the morning and finding the computer on it's 20,000th 4 MB file from the same user - all virus infected.
Don't you think that DbNull and Null will be the paradoxes that someday tear the fabric of the universe apart?

It is nothing - but it is something.

It has no value - but it is not empty.

MrBrad92122
n00b
n00b

Postby DThor » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:17 am

Keep in mind that, increasingly, sporgers are more than happy to copy the 'From ' field of legitimate posters to make life miserable, and there's nothing that can be done about it. I'd be leery of automating things too far. Of course, there are other bits of data that could be used to differentiate, but I'm skeptical it could be trivially automated. I understand where you're coming from, though, certainly things worth thinking about.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby nethead » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:09 pm

richy99 wrote:

it might come back, its a case of how it woudl work withthe new design]

Ugh; so the "search" on download tab is gone; glad it wasn't just myself that wondered what happened to it :shock:
nethead
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/25/06

Postby richy99 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:19 pm

nethead wrote:
richy99 wrote:

it might come back, its a case of how it woudl work withthe new design]

Ugh; so the "search" on download tab is gone; glad it wasn't just myself that wondered what happened to it :shock:

for the moment yes it has gone, its beta so it is likely to change, the problem as i see it is that the downloads are compacted so it wil lsearch on the set, if you need tosearch individial files within the set thats where the complication comes in
richy99
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Postby Quade » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:45 pm

I already said in another topic that I'm bringing search for the lists back. It's just not done yet. I consider it lower priority than getting Autopar rock solid.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby nethead » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:26 pm

Quade wrote:I already said in another topic that I'm bringing search for the lists back. It's just not done yet. I consider it lower priority than getting Autopar rock solid.

Thanks!

Overall liking the new v6, the group headers are MUCH faster when displaying new headers.

wondering about folder+filename with greater than 255 chars(created by "download to folder named by subject"; sometimes end up with .nb2 files
nethead
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby nethead » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:32 pm

Fedora_Guy wrote:Great work so far. :) My suggestions, a few of which I haven't seen mentioned yet:

I use(d) the search download for that; an Option would be a great help.

The Option to auto clean up after unrar would save many an hour; glad it wasn't just me doing that cleaning by "hand".

2 Option features I'd add my vote for :)
nethead
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:10 pm

You know, filename filters in the global filter can kill samples before they download. Filename "Reject" filter for "Sample" would do it. I'm planning on making filters apply after repair and unrar too so, you could get cleanup on both the front and back end. With the filename filters, it wouldn't matter of you added them to the download list. They'd be self cleaning.

It should work now. Even if it doesn't though, it wouldn't be hard to fix.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby nethead » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:28 pm

Quade wrote:You know, filename filters in the global filter can kill samples before they download. Filename "Reject" filter for "Sample" would do it.

Cool; didn't think of that; Done for sample. holding on .srr & others as sometimes the par process looks for them (doh)

Thanks!
nethead
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:19 pm

Yeah, thats an instance where a backend post-autopar filter would catch them.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby nethead » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:47 pm

agree; backend processing would be a boon
nethead
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby MilesAhead » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:21 pm

Could you please add support for Shift-Insert when pasting a directory in "Download to existing folder" folder browser?

I can right click the mouse and hit Paste, or hit Control-v but Shift-Insert, which I've been using to paste forever, leaves the input line blank.

Thanks. :)
Windows Seven 32 bit no SP
HP Pavilion AMD 5200+ dual core
2 GB ram
MilesAhead
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/23/06

Postby richy99 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:05 am

MilesAhead wrote:Could you please add support for Shift-Insert when pasting a directory in "Download to existing folder" folder browser?

I can right click the mouse and hit Paste, or hit Control-v but Shift-Insert, which I've been using to paste forever, leaves the input line blank.

Thanks. :)

have you tried setting the custom keys for this?
richy99
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Postby Quade » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:20 am

I'm pretty sure he's just talking about the fact shortcuts are still sort of broken.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby MilesAhead » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:36 pm

Quade wrote:I'm pretty sure he's just talking about the fact shortcuts are still sort of broken.

Right. Sounds like it's already on the ToDo list.
Windows Seven 32 bit no SP
HP Pavilion AMD 5200+ dual core
2 GB ram
MilesAhead
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/23/06

Postby rolhk » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:22 am

- Would also like the filter box back within the downloads pane
- Would like search pane to be completely removable, rather than pane that you have to shrink
- Customisable columns, choose whether to show/hide certain columns, like date/download path and whatnot
- Autofit columns to window width
- Lock toolbar/pane options, so can remove movable dots and/or pane name bar with auto-hide/close pane buttons

Most are really minor, just thought I'd put it out there. 1st one is the only one really worth mentioning, but if others aren't much trouble, would be nice. Thanks!
rolhk
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/30/10

Postby Quade » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:07 am

Yeah thanks.

- Autofit columns to window width
- Lock toolbar/pane options, so can remove movable dots and/or pane name bar with auto-hide/close pane buttons

Not sure about these two but, the rest are on my mind.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby daguenet » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:02 pm

I would like newsbin to move the files to the UnRAR path when AutoPAR is complete, fixed, whatever. I have many files that come down that are not RAR, but have par files with them. I would like the files that the pars check and or fix to be moved to the same directory as the files that are UnRARed. I would like them to be the same, but maybe others would like them to be different or not moved at all. So I would suggest that like the "Override UnRAR Path" option under AutoPAR Options you give the option for the pared files too. If this makes sense.

Thanks
Aaron
daguenet
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/25/09

Postby Quade » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:18 pm

I would like newsbin to move the files to the UnRAR path when AutoPAR is complete, fixed, whatever. I have many files that come down that are not RAR, but have par files with them. I would like the files that the pars check and or fix to be moved to the same directory as the files that are UnRARed.

6.0B3 does this already. You know, great minds think alike and all that.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby daguenet » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:12 pm

Quade wrote:
I would like newsbin to move the files to the UnRAR path when AutoPAR is complete, fixed, whatever. I have many files that come down that are not RAR, but have par files with them. I would like the files that the pars check and or fix to be moved to the same directory as the files that are UnRARed.

6.0B3 does this already. You know, great minds think alike and all that.

Cool. Thanks
daguenet
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Moondawgie » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:38 pm

I'd like to see the displayed status for messages/files listed in Posts found to be duplicates to messages/files previously downloaded, to be displayed as "Old" rather than simply being shaded in red and continuing to be displayed as "Idle/New" The red shading doesn't appear to be "sticky" as such posts eventually appear as new messages/files without the red shading, or any indication that they've previously been marked for downloading and found to be duplicates. Alternatively, perhaps this could be created as an optional setting which would mark messages/files found to be duplicates as "Idle/Old".
MS Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit I- ASUS P8Z77-V LE; Intel i7-3770K 3.5 GHz; 16.0GB DDR3; 500 Mbps cable internet.
Moondawgie
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/17/03

Postby daguenet » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:43 pm

Two actually

Is there or could there be a switch to down load all the par files.

Could there be an switch, button, option to expand all the compacted download lines.

Aaron
daguenet
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby richy99 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:25 pm

disable autopar and it will download all ther par files

not sure as everytihng is compacted for memory use, you mean a toggle like in 5.59 ?
richy99
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Postby daguenet » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:41 pm

richy99 wrote:disable autopar and it will download all ther par files

not sure as everytihng is compacted for memory use, you mean a toggle like in 5.59 ?

Actually I want autopar but I would like to get all the par files too so I don't have to go into a bunch of compacted downloads and either do a resume download on the pars or assemble incomplete on the files that fail for what ever reason.

As to the compacted I'm talking about the download list where there are x files, x pars these are compacted and some times I just want them all expanded. I would be nice to be able to right click on one of the arrows and have an option to expand all. Then we would not have to go through each one to expand it.
daguenet
Active Participant
Active Participant

PreviousNext

Return to V6 Technical Support