D/L speed drop while unraring

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

D/L speed drop while unraring

Postby twitch » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:19 pm

So I thought this was happening due to a slow hdd, but sounds like other folks are having this issue as well. See http://filesharingtalk.com/threads/430349-Newsbin-Pro-6-beta-1-is-out. for detailed description. Anyone else experience this?
twitch
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 09/26/09

Re: D/L speed drop while unraring

Postby DThor » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:29 am

It's being looked at. It's related very much to the hardware (for example, I don't see this). What appears to be happening is the extraction is very fast(compared to other programs that are bog slow at extraction) so this is impacting download speeds on some systems. Some optimizations are being applied, also Quade is experimenting with rar priorities.
Apart from this, keep in mind you have to pay the piper sometime. For me, I want stuff ASAP. There's already a method of controlling priority in the download tab (I want this one first), and frankly if I'm waiting on something, I don't particularly want to wait longer for extraction, so a 'fix ' for this wouldn't fix anything for me.
Having said that, the discussion has triggered some optimizations being tested internally now, and that's always good.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby twitch » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:56 am

Just curious if there was any update to this.
twitch
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 09/26/09

Postby KilJaden » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:10 am

The latests internal betas do have some improvements , at least on a medium system i don't experience slowdowns while downloading at 12 MB/s and unpacking a 8 GB rar set with cache size never dropping to 400/600.
But you should know that the download unrar process is still very I/O intensive so if you have anything that might interfere the download will suffer.Also the new "lighter " par2 checking while downloading also helps .

And as Dthor already said the reason some of you don't see the slowdown when using other apps is because the unrar process is extremely slow when it's compared to the one in Newsbin . For instance a file in Newsbin might take 30 sec to unpack and the same files takes 2+ minutes in UE just beacause is has a very low priority. So even if you might see a drop in speed while unpacking and downloading the faster unpack speed will still make Newsbin faster overall.

But like i said it all depends on hardware on my system at least lowering the unrar, and the new par2 checking thread helped , who knows if that helps or not everyone .
KilJaden
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 06/17/09

Postby DThor » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:37 am

Also, in the internal beta there is currently the ability to set rar priority, which may help in some scenarios. It's the sort of thing that really we'll only know if it's helpful if the people having the trouble fiddle with it, so keep an eye peeled for the next open beta release...

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby Semel » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:21 pm

don't see the slowdown when using other apps is because the unrar process is extremely slow when it's compared to the one in Newsbin

The developer of UE has made some very good improvements in that area. Unrar works really fast

So even if you might see a drop in speed while unpacking and downloading the faster unpack speed will still make Newsbin faster overall.

Not true at all in my case.. Constant drops to 2-4MB and several times to complete 0 when Nb is out of cache..Says it all

but i guess it depends on the hardware.

Just let NBpro pause par2 verification on the fly for the second etc jobs while the first job is still in progress.. simple, efficient.
Maybe through INI file.
Semel
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/25/09

Postby Jonny » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:54 pm

Just tell NB to unpack to another physical drive and your done.

Regards;
/jb
Jonny
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/29/03

Postby KilJaden » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:59 pm

Semel wrote:The developer of UE has made some very good improvements in that area. Unrar works really fast

I tested with the latest UE version ...
KilJaden
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 06/17/09

Return to V6 Technical Support