ugh how do I get back "classic view" in Newsbin 6?

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

ugh how do I get back "classic view" in Newsbin 6?

Postby snes150 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:02 pm

I downloaded the beta for the alleged speed improvements but wow, I really hate this new interface. It seems like you guys are trying way too hard to "modernize" everything. All the options are smaller. Instead of having a nice big Pause button there's now a tiny little II button for example.

Where the hell did the Servers tab go? I go to View -> Servers but the option is greyed out.

I dislike how everything is displayed in kilobytes now. Usenet posts are getting larger. Why are your units of measurement getting smaller? How do I change it back to showing 100 MB for each rar instead of 102,400 KB? That just looks sloppy. I miss the AutoPAR tab.
snes150
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/24/09

Re: ugh how do I get back "classic view" in Newsbin 6?

Postby richy99 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:20 pm

you cant, that was one of the major changes, the interface to make it more modern

the servers are accessed via options - servers, unless you are chaning settings every day there is no real need to go into the servers options

i assume you mean in the download list?
richy99
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/31/03

Postby Quade » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:21 pm

1 - Classic view? Going back to 5.59 is about all I can suggest.

2 - You can make the toolbars bigger. "View\Customize\Large Icons"

3 - View servers doesn't exist yet (or maybe ever). Does it really tell you anything meaningful? Option/Servers is how you change the servers and "Connections" is how you can watch the servers working.

4 - Size thing. Probably am going to change the download list to show like the post list. Not sure why I didn't. I think one of the alpha testers didn't like it.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby snes150 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:16 pm

The view servers tab made it easier to quickly change server options without having to dig in a little deeper (i.e. disable, enable servers). I also liked being able to quickly have a look at how much data has been downloaded in total on each server. I mean, I just don't see the point of removing this optional tab. It's not like there's not enough screen space for more tabs. I see tons of blank space on the interface now that could hold another tab.

The Large Icons is much better, thank you. However, the proportions of the text are still small (I.E. bottom bar with your current download rate, size of posts in queue, estimated time left, etc). This text is very tiny now. It seemed bigger in V5.

I'm still undecided on the icons. They all look very similar to each other so they just blend in with one another. Not as fast as in V5 which just had text on the icons describing each one's function imo. You have to examine the icons closer now to find your desired function.
snes150
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/24/09

Postby IdontexistM8 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:14 pm

Have to agree, the server view is an v.important tab for me, definitely would like it back.
"Nice to see binaries, to see binaries....Nice!!"
IdontexistM8
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/03/04

Postby Carandiru » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:09 am

lol looks great to me, simplistic. Your just too used to the original interface that looks like it came from the days of Borland Compiler.
Carandiru
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/18/08

Postby IdontexistM8 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:17 pm

I should rephrase my previous post. . . I think the look is great, just would like the server tab fully functioning.
IdontexistM8
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby feinbergfl » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:37 am

Maybe I'm just old and confused or maybe it's a function of upgrading my 5.59 install instead of a fresh install, but I don't see any downloading of files info. Sure, I can have that separate floating area but why isn't it integrated into the body of the interface. All of the details on file downloads that I had in Version 5 seems to be an add-on or did I do something wrong?
Jeff
feinbergfl
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 09/13/03

Postby Quade » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:47 am

I don't get what you're asking or what you seem to be missing.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby richy99 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:49 am

im thining he wants the downlaods tab to be old school like the ssearch tab, but i could be wrong
richy99
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/31/03

Postby feinbergfl » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:01 pm

I screencaptured by new install and my old install. How can I send them up to try to illustrate my question?
Jeff
feinbergfl
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby DThor » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:07 pm

Is it possible your bottom pane position is 'hidden'? You don't have to float the download tab, if that's what you're saying. And yup, if you upgraded, there's a distinct possibility things might not be where you'd expect. Actually, my 'window positions' aren't jiving with the actuals, so it's likely not wired up yet quite correctly(check relnotes), but ensure the bottom pane divider isn't all the way at the bottom hiding it altogether.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby feinbergfl » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:15 pm

Bingo. That was the problem. Thanks, now it's looking good.
Jeff
feinbergfl
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby DThor » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:26 pm

Ah, cool...

DT
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Postby Questar_99 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:23 pm

No server tab in V6? Ouch, I use it everyday.

I'll buy you an ice cream if I can have it back. :D
Questar_99
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/10/04

Postby DThor » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:29 am

It's certainly not a given at this point. It's always useful, however, to hear why people use it. If it's just because you're one of those people that likes watching numbers increment, that's a reason. If you're needing to constantly change your server setup, that's another. Getting to the bottom of why you'd need to do the latter is useful, it might be a good way to get some more functionality implemented.

I know to some people the thinking is 'you already had it, why not just leave it?', but it does actually need to get coded as the underlying code changes, and more importantly, maintained while features and tech changes. If you could get relevant information somewhere else already existing, for example, that's a whole hunk of code that can be passed over for something more useful.

DT
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Postby IdontexistM8 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:54 pm

DThor wrote:If it's just because you're one of those people that likes watching numbers increment, that's a reason. If you're needing to constantly change your server setup, that's another.

Yep, you've got my two reasons. :D
IdontexistM8
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby DThor » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:24 pm

My point was: why are you changing the server setup? And could that be obviated?

DT
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Postby IdontexistM8 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:32 pm

DThor wrote:My point was: why are you changing the server setup? And could that be obviated?

DT

I'm enabling and disabling servers on daily basis, something that is likely to continue when I start playing around with IPv6 servers. Secondly and less frequently, i will tweak the number of connections for optimum usage depending on what I'm downloading and it's age.

So it's an ease of use thing and ATM the V5 tab makes it very easy. If anything for the latter reason I'd like to be able to alter the connections directly from the tab rather than going into the options.
IdontexistM8
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Questar_99 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:13 pm

DThor wrote:My point was: why are you changing the server setup? And could that be obviated?

DT

My ISP server has a 5GB a month limit. I turn that server on and then off when I reach the limit.

I use another server that has a 2GB a day limit. Turn that one on and off.

I have a free server that is pretty low speed. I run it in conjunction with my pay server and tune the number of connections my pay server is using to not overwhelm the free server.

I tune my number of connections to free up bandwidth for other users, for example when my son is watching Youtube.

All the above are cases of why having right-click access to server properties is important to me.
Questar_99
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/10/04

Postby DThor » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:09 am

Fair enough. I don't understand why your personal time isn't worth simply getting a single cheap option per month, but that's your choice. The limiter already exists, however. In some scenarios, though, simply throttling the speed doesn't help, that's why the notion of optionally tying a percentage of connections to the limiter has been tossed around. That might solve that issue and it's a one click solution.

Anyway, Quade has said he'd bring it back if enough users need it. So far, apart from the current limiter possibly needing some tweaking, it seems to be mostly for those that want to struggle by with free servers.

DT
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Postby IdontexistM8 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:26 am

DThor wrote:Fair enough. I don't understand why your personal time isn't worth simply getting a single cheap option per month, but that's your choice. The limiter already exists, however. In some scenarios, though, simply throttling the speed doesn't help, that's why the notion of optionally tying a percentage of connections to the limiter has been tossed around. That might solve that issue and it's a one click solution.

Anyway, Quade has said he'd bring it back if enough users need it. So far, apart from the current limiter possibly needing some tweaking, it seems to be mostly for those that want to struggle by with free servers.

DT

Although your reply was specifically to the last post I'd like to add that I certainly don't 'struggle' with servers free or otherwise. Without going back over ancient ground once again, what I do works exceptionally well utilizing multiple normal and fill servers, I simply have no need for a monthly option that works out @ $100 a year. Of course that's not for everyone and If I get fibre/greedy then that could change but in the here and now I'm extremely happy. Therefore while a functional servers tab is meaningless for someone who has giganews, for us tweakers it's still close to essential.
IdontexistM8
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby DThor » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:34 am

I didn't respond specifically to you because you obviously get enjoyment out of micro management. While the server tab may indeed come back, I wouldn't call you a target market. Most people just want to set and forget. When I saw that you like to constantly ride the connections, right there that sort of ends the conversation for me. Not a challenge to explain your reasons, please, I'm just saying I get it, you like access to the server tab. 'nuff said.

DT
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Postby IdontexistM8 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:01 am

DThor wrote:I didn't respond specifically to you because you obviously get enjoyment out of micro management. While the server tab may indeed come back, I wouldn't call you a target market. Most people just want to set and forget. When I saw that you like to constantly ride the connections, right there that sort of ends the conversation for me. Not a challenge to explain your reasons, please, I'm just saying I get it, you like access to the server tab. 'nuff said.

DT

DT, it's simply a case of diff'rent strokes not micro management nor, as you put it, 'ride the connections'. If I wanted to 'set and forget' I'd use an inferior piece of software (there's enough of them), but I like NBP and its power user features and have done for nearly a decade now.

Now I might change the connections say no more than once a fortnight and that depends on what I'll downloading. Look I'll give everyone an example. . . My main fill block currently has about 600 days retention which is great for everyday sort of nzb stuff, therefore it's usually set at max connections. However if I want something older I'll use my Astra or another block, therefore in order to max out my line (about 16Mb on a good day) I'll toggle those block's connections upwards for that specific nzb, resetting again afterwards. Overly complicated for most? Undoubtedly. Effective for me? Yes.

Anyway, we're all on the same team here, it's just our ways of doing things vary a lil' bit. 8)
IdontexistM8
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Return to V6 Technical Support