Window Positions & Download List V5->V6

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Window Positions & Download List V5->V6

Postby Heseltine » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:26 am

Hello all,
just a few quick questions:

First of all, should the "Window Posistions" Dialog in the Options be working already? I can select "Top" or "Bottom" for a number of windows, but is doesn't seem to do anything.

Secondly, I used to place the "Download" window as a tab to the post lists (i.e. in the big, upper right area. I can't seem to do that in V6, the window always opens as a tab with the "Connections", "Failed Downloads", "Logging" etc. windows. Is this intentional, or did I miss something?

Other than that, the V6 interface looks fine, and the header and post downloads are working without a glitch so far for me. Nice work. Image link not allowed for unregistered users

Greets, Michael
Heseltine
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Window Positions & Download List V5->V6

Postby itimpi » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:31 am

With v6 I think that the Windows Positions under Options is redundant and will possibly disappear once all tabs are converted to new style ones. Instead you now unpin a tab, and then you can move it to top; bottom; left; right; or center. It might be worth looking at the video Dexter produced on how this works.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby Heseltine » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:07 am

Hello again,
I've already seen the video, but that doesn't cover what I was interested in.

I've seen that you can pin and unpin tabs, move them around and rearange them. But no matter what I try, I doesn't seem possible to get what I have with V5 - that the "download" tab becomes one of the tabs in the big area to the upper right, where the group tabs with all the posts usually appear.

I used this configuration because I tend to push the other two areas (groups lists on the left side, and the connections, Logging, Files, and all the other stuff below) to the side and make them very small. But that doesn't seem to work for now, and so I have to contantly resize the areas for the time being.

Greets, Michael
Heseltine
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby richy99 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:20 am

you cant set the download tab to be old scholl like the search tab if that is what you mean?
richy99
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/31/03

Postby itimpi » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:33 am

I just set the Download window to "Floating", and then when I grabbed the title bar to move it the symbol appeared giving me positions I could use. Moving it to the right one did what you wanted.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby Heseltine » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:20 pm

Hello again,
then I'm obviously too stupid to use it. After your message, I tried it again, and all i can get after I change it to floating is:

• leave it floating
  • get it back to the lower area
  • put it beside (not into the lower, right or left areas
  • put it below the lower area or above the upper area
  • put it into the left area

I cannot get it into the right area, and I think I know why. when I hover the window over the right or lower area, I get a cross-like set of Icons with five pictures signifying the upper, left, lower, and right border of the area, plus the area iself in the middle (the middle one looks like a tabbed window). When I try the same thing in the right area where the groups and the search windows are, I only get four icons, the one in the middle is missing.

I hope you understand what I'm trying to explain here. Perphaps I need to make a video myself. Does anyone know a free screen recorder?

Greets, Michael
Heseltine
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:27 pm

I'm not really clear what you're trying to do but, the central area, where the post and search tabs are, can't be used with the download or failed or any of the floating tabs. Not yet anyway. Essentially, I'll need to remove the central window and replace it with the newer style floating windows. I just haven't done it yet. So, You will not be able to make all the tabs up side by side at this point.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Heseltine » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:27 pm

Hello Quade,
that's exactly what I was trying to do. The central window contains the group windows and the search window, and it used to contain the download window, at least if one set the Window Positions accordingly. That way, they all were tabs in the same area.

Thanks for confirming that this doesn't work (yet) with V6.

Greets, Michael
Heseltine
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby russss » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:29 pm

Why can't I just have the three pane view back like with V5? I don't want to have 3 floating undocked windows, I'd just like my "old" 3 pane view back.... after 5 mins of installing V6 I'm thinking of returning to V5 just for that alone....

Disappointed....

Russ
russss
n00b
n00b

Postby DThor » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:34 pm

Hmm, I have a 3 pane setup with 6, just like 5. Apologies for not reading the whole thread, but it's absolutely do-able. I tend to have to kick the GUI a couple times to get it to take, but unless I'm missing a subtlety...

Just a reminder, this *is* a beta release. There might be some current restrictions about one particular pane not able to be in one particular location at the moment, but that doesn't mean final will. I have my setup almost exactly like 5 - download and crapload of other panes on the bottom, groups/gogs on the left, post lists and search as my primary on the right. I'm wondering if you're just having trouble getting the GUI to behave, it happened to me at first.

DT

P.S. Nothing is floating. I hate floats too!
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby Quade » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:42 pm

The only pane that's special any more is search. Leave it in the pane where you want the post lists to show up.

Disappointed....

You should look at Dex's youtube video on the gui. 3 pane is pretty easy to get. I use 3 pane but, the groups pane is auto-hid so, it pops up when I dwell over the tab docked to the side. I could pin it if I wanted old fashioned 3 tab.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support