New download queue confusing

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

New download queue confusing

Postby kknostman » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:32 am

Hello,

I'm finding the new download queue a bit confusing. While I can see how the queue is an improvement in many ways (nice to be able to collapse downloads, etc) there are a few issues I'm seeing that I hope will be addressed.

1. Each download should have status text either in the progress bar or in another column so you can see exactly what is happening. I have 2 large downloads in my queue right now that appear stalled even though they are completed. No unrar/par activity is happening that I can see.
2. If colors are used there needs to be a legend right on the button bar for downloads. Users should not have to search to find out what the colors mean.
3. Single files cannot be deleted. I tried to remove files that would have been dupe downloads (it was trying to download existing files without even checking) and the entire download set was removed!
4. If I pause unwanted downloads because some files are already downloaded, let's say, (I was forced to pause files since I could not delete them singly) then the download looks to be incomplete and it won't auto-unrar.
5. The download list isn't checking the download location for existing files that it can use to complete the download and automatically begin extraction (at least I'm pretty sure it's not :) ).
6. Files/sets in the download list cannot be dragged with the mouse to a new location like in v5.

In addition not all of the download section button bar icons have mouse over tooltips.
kknostman
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/10/03

Re: New download queue confusing

Postby richy99 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:30 am

yes many of your issues the developer is aware of, dont forget its a beta so it will have bugs and quirks for now in the download list due to the new internal workings
richy99
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/31/03

Postby kknostman » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:47 pm

Additional observed behavior:
1. After closing and reopening NB download items that appear complete (all main files downloaded but not necessarily the PARS) are removed upon reopening of the application without auto-par or unrar actions being performed. The files appear in the download "Files" tab but not in the download list. A manual unrar using an external program was required. Question: Is there a way to force download items back into the list, maintaining state of the download, so that par/rar actions can be taken within newsbin?
2. On failed manual unrar actions (such as if there is a missing or corrupt file) NB reports a "failed read operation" and cancels the task. It would be nice if it could recover more gracefully, if possible, so that a repair can be made and then the task continued.
3. Manual unrar windows appear to be modal (forced top and active window) so that you cannot interact with the rest of the NB window. Could these actions be non-modal, either into say another tab (misc actions lets say) so that you can continue to work with the main Window? If it's an issue of multiple par/rar actions happening simultaneously maybe the application can simply monitor for this and queue up the actions.

Thanks
kknostman
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/10/03

Postby Quade » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:20 pm

1 - Right click "Quick Unrar" in the files list will unrar it too.

2 - What were you doing that caused this?

3 - No comment, thinking about it though.

5. The download list isn't checking the download location for existing files that it can use to complete the download and automatically begin extraction (at least I'm pretty sure it's not ).

Thinking about this one too.

I was thinking I didn't want to trust files already on disk but, maybe I should force the user to delete it if they want to re-download a second time.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support